Fly Tying
mridenour

Bear Spray Recommendations???

True story from a bush pilot I knew who flew hunters out of Tok Alaska-

One day he gets a job to fly a couple hikers out somewhere so they can stay a week and commune with nature. Total birkenstock, beads-in-the-hair types. Not a knife or (Heaven forbid) a gun between them. "No worry" says the alpha-hippie, "we bought bear repellent spray in Fairbanks." Pilot looks and confirms they each have a can of Bear-Spray. Flies them out to a gravel bar somewhere on the Tanana River and they're all happy and good-to-go for a week. Pilot leaves, flies up river a mile or so then comes back over, giving a last look to see if the hippies were really committed and ready to be out there, and sees one of them flopping around on the ground like a trout, and the other one jumping up and down waving his arms going crazy. Obviously something is wrong so the Pilot whips around and comes back to the bar....

He was laughing so hard he almost couldn't talk as he was telling me this... The nature-lovers thought "Bear Repellent" spray worked the same way "Insect Repellent" spray works.

It does not.

I fish a lot in black bear country, alone. I was walking back to my truck on a fire road one day when my cell phone rang. Unusual, because the coverage is really bad in that area, and I never take it with me. I must have left it in my jacket when I left home by mistake. It was my wife back in Ohio just asking how it was going, etc. As I was chatting with her, a black bear ran across the road about 20 ft in front of me, traveling like a bat out of Joplin. It startled me, and I yelled "BEAR!", then the call dropped. I had to drive 5 miles to get coverage to call my wife back. SHE WAS NOT HAPPY! (But I could hear her rustling through the insurance papers). True story.

Anyway, I have never carried spray in black bear territory. I have carried it in Wyo and Montana, but never had to use it. Have seen black and grizzly bears in both places, but they always stayed their distance (or rather, I stayed mine). I'm sure any of the major brands of spray would be more or less the same in quality and usefulness. And equally expensive, too.

living in wyoming and bear country I can tell you any bear spray you buy will work (it is extra powerful pepper spray). One thing to keep in mind is if you cross a grizzly and cubs and she gets threatened...bear spray is most likely not going to help. Wind is also another major issue with bear spray. It is a deterrent and not a guaranteed safety net. Make noise while you hike and stay aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. If you are going solo in the backcountry... firearms are always your friend. PM if you have any questions regarding my wonderful home state.

The closer the bear is the better it works. It also works better in your hand, not in your pack.

Bear spray is also more likely to work than a firearm ( for the average person ). Here's why. To STOP a charge the bear must shot in the nervous system. The brain or spinal column is not easy to hit. If the bear is fatally hit, heart or lungs. The bear still has time to continue his business. Which could mean big problems. Now the spray. The spray lets you see your aim, and gives you time to adjust.

In no way am I anti gun. I own many firearms, and can shoot quite well. But under severe stress ( bear charge ) most people stand a better chance with the spray.

I was only ever concerned about bears when I lived in Alaska. I carried a big .44 mag in a chest rig (and I practiced with it all the time). It quickly became apparent that in the area I lived, it was so brushy and thick along the creeks that if a bear attack did happen, it would happen so fast that the only thing which MIGHT help would be another person. If you are out in the wide open and can see a bear coming, you have every chance in the world of avoiding an encounter. If you are in areas similar to those I frequented, it's going to be over before you know it started.

Guns, spray, harsh language, it won't matter.

The closer the bear is the better it works. It also works better in your hand, not in your pack. Bear spray is also more likely to work than a firearm ( for the average person ). Here's why. To STOP a charge the bear must shot in the nervous system. The brain or spinal column is not easy to hit. If the bear is fatally hit, heart or lungs. The bear still has time to continue his business. Which could mean big problems. Now the spray. The spray lets you see your aim, and gives you time to adjust. In no way am I anti gun. I own many firearms, and can shoot quite well. But under severe stress ( bear charge ) most people stand a better chance with the spray.

+1 agree 100 percent.

Just wear your winter fishin' hat. You know...the one with the ear flaps and the tassels. The bears will die laughin'.

laughing_bear.jpg

That is too funny. My winter cap looks especially hilarious on me. No one will even fish with me when I wear it!

post-3361-0-22650600-1371254593_thumb.jpg

I fished in bear country in Montana. I did not have bear spray. I was not concerned. What concerned me was the "J" shaped 12 inch long scat and a partially buried deer carcass. That looked like Mountain Lion. Not sure how effective it would be on bears, but this tucked in my vest with five 200 grain Speer hollow points comforted me.

Also when I fished in Montana I was with my 74 year old friend. He was in good shape, but I would still trip him smile.png

Craig Mathews, owner of the Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone, Montana, said that he has used bear spray 3 times against grizzly attacks within Yellowstone Park. It worked every time. He didn't mention what brand he used.

Once heard Craig Matthews say that you don't use bear spray like perfume...just spritzing it to ward off the bear. When you pull the trigger on the bear spray hold it until its empty. If the bear still comes after you once the can is empty...well, you get the idea. Whatever they sell out there is about half the size of a fire extinguisher and well worth the money. He also told the story of someone fishing a tributary of the Gallatin. The guy was wading in tight quarters in a small stream lined with willows...turned the corner on a Grizzly. Emptied a can of bear spray on the bear. The man was still shaking(and alive) when he came back to BRF to buy a replacement can.

Some time ago I saw a video about using bear spray. It showed that you need something with an output more like a CO2 fire extinguisher than a perfume atomiser.

All this makes me very glad that the nastiest thing you could meet in our countryside is me!

Cheers,

C.