Fly Tying
mridenour

Bear Spray Recommendations???

The most dangerous animal I have ever had an encounter with while fishing was another person. Fool was drunk, armed, and taking pot shots across the lake over our heads.

I was only ever concerned about bears when I lived in Alaska. I carried a big .44 mag in a chest rig (and I practiced with it all the time). It quickly became apparent that in the area I lived, it was so brushy and thick along the creeks that if a bear attack did happen, it would happen so fast that the only thing which MIGHT help would be another person. If you are out in the wide open and can see a bear coming, you have every chance in the world of avoiding an encounter. If you are in areas similar to those I frequented, it's going to be over before you know it started.

Guns, spray, harsh language, it won't matter.

Have you ever seen this Video of Fred Eichler's Grizzly Encounter???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

Man the guy was quick thinking there. I reckon a lot of folk would have just spent their last seconds alive frozen with a funny smell in their pants.

I've fished in bear territory and have seen them while on the river in AK.. all big coastal browns, and more frequently than I like it's a momma with cubs.

I give mommas the whole river. I share the river with loners, but take a long walk if I've seen a bear. I also never fish solo in bear country.

I never carry bear spray.