Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Uni Tinsel De Laminating

For years I've been using Uni Tinsel in silver / gold. Over recent months I've had a problem with the tinsel de laminating as I wind it. Not just one spool, but several of the ones I've started recently. What is strange it has only been with one size. Size #12, the other sizes and colours haven't done it. Just the size #12 in silver / gold.

I've had it happen with spools from different sources so I doubt it is a batch problem. I'm not consciously doing anything different with this tinsel when I wind it.

Anyone else had any problem with this? Any ideas?

Cheers,

C.

Hi Crackaig,

I have a Uni-tinsel spool size 14 that does it. I bought it at least several years ago. I like their thread, but since this happened, I won't buy their brand tinsel any longer. I much prefer Wapsi UTC silver/gold tinsel. It isn't just that it doesn't delaminate either. For me, it seems easier to work with. I can pull on it pretty hard, it makes really nice and smooth streamer bodies. I like it so much that I bought several spools of the sizes that I use the most, so I'll have it for many years in case they ever decide to stop making it.

Regards,

Mark

Think I'll have to try it when I re stock. I go through about 6 to 8 spools a year and have about 5 in stock just now. Glad it isn't just me. I bought a spool of the copper / blue years ago and that hasn't done it. I don't think it is age related. New spools seem as prone as the old.

Cheers,

C.

Al I had the same problem when I contacted them they sent me 2 spools for free I thought that was nice of them until the free spools started doing the samething I was informed it was a problem related to the process of lamination getting contaminated by oil or something they offered to replace the spools again which I got 2 spools that hasn't had the problem

Must have been a new guy running the laminating machine that day. LOL. He squirted WD-40 on a sqeaky roller that day. Hey if they went out of the way to replace the bad product, then hats off to the manufacturer.

I haven't had any problems with my tinsel but I have had good experience with their customer service. They make a tray with two foam inserts for holding spools. Its supposed to hold something like 36 spools but when you have more than just one side filled, the lid won't close. I wrote them about it and they sent me a new one. I had the same problem with the new one but the service was good. In this case, it was really just a bad product in that they tried to take a container that is already on the market and specialize it and it didn't work.

Markbob, I made the same mistake a good number of years ago. However some kind person at a fly tying show "relieved me of the problem"! I didn't replace the container after it was stolen, but having to replace all the spools in it was an expense I didn't need. You are right that case is case of spoiling the ship for a ha'penny of tar.

The solution would have been to make the spools to fit sideways into the foam. It would have been an improvement as tinsel or other material could have been pulled off without removing the spool from the box. Even if it was just half the box with this arrangement it would be better. If you still have the box it may be a good idea to make a new insert like that for one side.

I may get in touch with them and see what they say. The big obstacle in the way is they are the other side of the big pond.

Cheers,

C.