Fly Tying
Alex C.

Collins Hackle Farm

I've seen them at shows but not used any. They look to be a good product at a reasonable price. I was actually planning on picking some up at the show in Marlboro this weekend.

Bamboo

I picked some up at a show and ordered some also. They have a great color selection if you need something special. They are real nice for the price and even sell dyed pieces if you just need some of a special color. I still think whiting is the best but these are better than most others.

Been using their hackles for about 5 or more yrs,you get saddles with neck.Quality is good for the price. I usually buy commercial grade about 20.00.They are usually at the fly fishing shows .

great insight, speaking from a beginners point of view, the "higher" end hackles seem too expensive.(and not just a beginning tyer, but also figuring out the wife doesnt seem to realize, i NEED this stuff) smile.gif

QUOTE (Brewer @ Jan 19 2005, 07:41 PM)
great insight, speaking from a beginners point of view, the "higher" end hackles seem too expensive.(and not just a beginning tyer, but also figuring out the wife doesnt seem to realize, i NEED this stuff) smile.gif

It could be worse you might need something else!

I have purchased and used Collins hackles for about 4 years now. His commercial grades are the same great quality as his #1 grade. The commercial grade is great for production tying (My guess is about 10 to 15 % less hackles on a neck, with a few dozen missing tips) Since you only pay 1/3 the price, it is an excellent deal. I tie a lot of midges, and the necks I bought have a ton of 22 -32 hackles.

All colors are natural dyed colors, Talked to the owner last Saturday and he may start dying some olives grizzly next year (he has had many requests)

The best thing about Collins necks is the included saddle patch at no charge. Every neck has a money back guarentee. I attended a seminar he gave on hackle and learned more about flytying than from anyone else.

Money saving tip: A friend and I purchase necks in many colors and shades. We split the neck and saddle patch down the middle. I use up the half necks and replace them quicker. This keeps the hackle supply we use fresher and more flexable.

Conehead

Collins does not have a web-site and do not have e-mail. He sales hackle at most of the eastern US fly fishing shows and through phone and mail orders orders.

Collins Hackle Farm

436 Kinner Hill Road

Pine City, NY 14871

607-734-1765

There is no middle man markup with these guys. The best time to call is 6:00 to 7:30 PM or 2:00-3:00 AM EST. since they are outside most of the time.

Ask them for a product sheet.

Conehead

I too purchased some saddles at the Marlboro show today. Very nice high quality. He is an intersting guy too. Does not have nor ever will have: a cell phone, a computer or a web site!

Michael

QUOTE (mhackney @ Jan 22 2005, 05:39 PM)
I too purchased some saddles at the Marlboro show today. Very nice high quality. He is an intersting guy too. Does not have nor ever will have: a cell phone, a computer or a web site!

Michael

its hard to advertise like that....but obviously working for him, i will definetly be calling.