Fly Tying
Alex C.

Collins Hackle Farm

I just got a #3 medium dun saddle in the mail today from collins that I got on ebay. The stem is pretty flexible and the fibers stand straight up, I'm still new at this but I think those are pretty good qualitys. The skin does have a slight poultry odor though.

Oh yeah,

That's something I forgot to tell you vice addicts, collins does not wash and scrub his necks. Sometimes you find a gob of chicken poo-poo (yeah, I said poo-poo) on your saddle hackle patch.

Collins is a teacher (may retire soon) and does hackle part time. He said just taking care of his chicken ranch is enough. He only dies with hair dyes, (browns blacks, grays, duns, reds) so some of the necks are cleaned.

To dye exotic colors, wash, dry, and treat all the necks is too much. He is a small operation and probably could not meet the demand if he was on the net.

That's why the price is so good. Just picked up some more necks at the College park, MD show last week.

Take brewers advise, DON'T SNIFF

Still the best deal in town, commercial necks are the best. Less hackle per neck but still best price per hackle. (collins should give me a kickback)

Conehead

Thanks for iinfo on necks and saddles, and thank you for the address phone # .oh by the way does he ship to canada ? Mike

Picketpin,

According to Collins info sheet:

Postage/insurance $4.95 regardless of size order

Orders under $20.00 add $5.00 for handling

Postage is free on orders of $200.00 or more

You can order by phone and he ships COD.

It says nothing about shipping to Canada.

Give him a call or drop him a line

Conehead

WOW bugeyes.gif I just wrapped my first hackle from the med. dun saddle I got from Collins, and I feel like a pro, it wrapped very easy, what a difference quality hackle makes headbang.gif

I've tried hackle from a whole bunch of different places and I've gotten the samples from Collins and it tied pretty well.

But for my money I'll go with Conranch Hackles, he's knowledgeable and will take the time to talk to you. He's got phone and email and will always get back to you. He's been in business many years and has only had 2 returns from customers, and if you really want to know why they were returned ask him he'll tell you.

I'm not affiliated with Denny (Conranch Hackle) just a satisfied customer.

Fatman

I have to agree with Fatman. I have known Denny personally for about 3 years. His product and service are super. His JV hen necks make some beautiful soft hackles. Like Fatman... I am not associated with Conranch Hackles in any way. I'm just a very pleased owner of about a dozen of his necks.

Mike

Hey guys,

I'm not associated with Collins in any way either. I have just received some great help from him.

I don't even get a discount; I just think he has a good product and a good genetic line of birds.

I went to Conranch hackles and was impressed with the looks of his birds. You are right about his JV hen hackle. It looks like some great product and also a great price. I don't think tiers have ever had the choice of such quality and affordable materials

I will give him a call when I need some more hackle, More hackle, who am I kidding, I got more neck stashed away than I could use in the next 20 years.

Well, you know, I could use a variant Cree

Conehead

I use them and buy them at shows. Good quality, selection and price. You get both the neck an saddle for the price most charge for just the neck.

Awesome hackles!

I have 5 of them. They're great quality and he sends the saddles with them too!