Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Good day out but need help

Had a good trip to a small trout stream today with good results. I went for a good part of the day without a single bite but once i put on a bead head pheasant tail nymph the action started. all was going good until i got to a section of river where it widens out and gets really calm. The current was barley flowing at times. I had no clue how to fish it. Anyone have any tips on how to fish really slow calm streams like this one. What would you use and how would you use it.

Thanks

post-44005-0-05630700-1377579453_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-00820200-1377579462_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-58046200-1377579473_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-01070500-1377579535_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-09883300-1377579577_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great spot to fish those undercut banks. It wouldnt hurt to strip a streamer along each bank. Looks like a nice spot for a waiting brown. Nice pics as well

I agree with Spanky, in that the shorelines are the target. But I'd try dropping a hopper or cricket pattern off the grass into the water. From my observation, finding themselves in the water, hoppers always sit still for several seconds, then start kicking to the shore. If you get lucky enough, or your good enough, to hang your line on a piece of grass with the hopper out in the water, let it sit for a few seconds, then work it back to the grass and let it sit there for as long as you can stand. If you don't get a hit, try to make it look like the hopper is struggling to get a grip on the grass to climb out of the water. The longer you can "struggle" at the water's edge, the better the chances a large fish will come out and nail it.

That reminds me of a spot I fish for brook trout. There is good water above and below the slow wide bend so I normally just skip the bend.

Matt

+1 for the above. I'd add, when the water slows down, especially if it is clear, I add tippet and sometimes drop a size if I can. Fish can see more of what is going on around them and getting the flies further from the fly line can help.

river bend = undercut bank = big fish hiding place

why would you skip it??

plop a big ole hopper/terrestrial over there and watch it get sucked in smile.png

I believe the previous five posts prove one old adage ... "Opinions are like assholes ... everybody's got one, and they all stink except mine!"

Just keep trying everything you've got. Start small, in case they're easily spooked. Work your way up to big and noisy. At the very least, you'll improve your casting skills!

I agree with everyone about working those undercuts, but I wouldn't ignore the middle of the stream either. You never know what could be on the prowl and a good streamer or crayfish pattern might bring a big smile to your face. Also, I almost forgot to say that those are good pictures.