Fly Tying
Piker20

Maybe too optimistic.

Hi folks. Proposed fly swap, this may be too optimistic but Ill throw it out there and see where it goes.
Pat OReilly in his book Matching The Hatch Stillwater, River and Stream, discusses the flies that cover most situations most of the time. He calls them his Magnificent Seven. He labels what he feels to be the key food groups into 7 catagories and then gives a fly for each category that he feels covers you for most places most of the time.
I would like to suggest a swap based under his 7 group headings. Each swapper ties a fly for each group x the number of total swappers.. so if we have 5 swappers we will tie 35 flies total. 10 we need to tie 70!
The headings are

• Agile Darting Nymphs and Stonefly nymphs
  • Dark Duns and spinners and Stoneflies
  • Light Duns and spinners
  • Sedge (Caddis) and Alders
  • Damsel Nymph and Fish Fry
  • Beetles, Midges, gnats and Black flies
  • Buzzer Pupae.

All packages are heading back to whence they came.

The only specifics would be one fly (well 5x7 flies total) under each of the 7 headings. Pat in his book gives 7 patterns but I want to see what each swapper would tie for their 7 covers everything flies.

Maybe Colin... Maybe...

stonefly nymph

black or brown spinner

dun

?? (what the hell is a Sedge / Alder??)

damsel nymph

floating beetle

buzzer pupae??

?? (what the hell is a Sedge / Alder??)

I had to look it up as well... especially the Alder, I still don't know what the hell that thing is... a stone that holds it's wings in a tent? Guess they have them out west...

I'm interested, just wondering how the shipping and postage would work across the pond, all my swaps have been domestic.

I will send you a PM Nate. Sedge is the UK term for caddis flies. Alder fly hold their wings tented like a caddis but they are a stone fly.

Given the lead time I think I could do a decent job on this. Count me in if no one is ahead of me. Give me some nice bench time and a chance to try out my new feather order.

I'm in. Just for clarification, how many of the US $$ should we put in, or can we base that on our shipping costs. And will put $9.00 on value to stay within custom limits, right?

Vic yep, base it on your cost to send out.

Spinninbugs, yep just what caddis in UK are called sedge.

FOR ALL SWAPPERS. do not send flies in any boxes you want back. Make sure you post them in something crushproof but I'll be putting the flies in something to send back.

Yeah mate :/

I'm in.

Should be able to put something together in time for this one....