Fly Tying
SILKHDH

UV or not to UV

OK, I have seen all these new "UV" products out there. What I want to know is, has anyone any proof, or has done a personal study on this. I mean has anyone taken a fly pattern without UV and thrown it for a week and the switched to the same pattern with UV and duplicated the same fishing conditions with different results. Should I never buy regular colors again and always buy UV dyed products from now on. Like I said I want proof not a commercial. I don't want to be sent to an article by a guy that works for the company that sells the stuff. I want information from real every day fisherman. DOES IT REALLY MAKE A BETTER FISH CATCHING FLY! If so..Why? Keep in mind, like many of you out there I have invested hundreds, and I'm sure thousands of dollars on materials in the past that are not UV. I hope I don't have to start all over again buying all new materials that are UV.

I have recently fished the UV2 product by Spirit River. It does produce more strikes at least it has for me. I was fishing docklights the other night you can see it under saltwater posts and the UV fly was producing strikes when the other was not.

Thank you Mr. SCOwens. That's what I want. Real guys out doing real fishing. Not a sales pitch.

As you've already stated we have had non UV materials for years and caught fish. If UV flies were the best ALL match fishing folk would only fish UV flies. They don't....

Some materials like jungle cock naturally reflect UV better and some Gillies will remove JC from flies if the waters clear and fish skittish, so it may have some effect.

if you have a torch for setting UV resins and shine it on pink or chartreuse materials they really glow. These colours are also top salt water colours....

I'm not convinced UV is the sole way to go, but do like to include materials with natural reflectiveness was like peacock and JC when able.

An important thing to remember is that there is a difference between UV fluorescence (UVF) and UV reflectance (UVR). We have been messing with all of this stuff this year at flyfishfood, and we have done really well with high UVR patterns. Just because an item is not marketed as UV, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have high UV qualities. Also, it's important to note that shining the UV light on your materials is a good way to find out if they are UVF, but not all UVR materials will light up with the light.

To really get a better feel of the UV game, I'd highly recommend reading "The New Scientific Angling - Trout and Ultraviolet Vision." by Reed F. Curry.

Guest rich mc

the jury is still out for me. I have tried some uv polar chenille shad flies next to non uv . it was clear water and bright sun. the lm bass I was catching didn't slow down when I changed flies. a few others I have talked to prefer some uv mixed in a fly pattern. I made some flies up with uv on the tail and top wing so a profile may show up but havnt had a chance to fish them yet. will keep you posted rich mc

I will just clarify that I do mainly warm water fishing for bass and bluegill but do get to fish for trout in Colorado and some local stocking program waters. But anyone with salt water comments I'm sure will be helpful to others on this site. All comments welcome.

I am still evaluating the use of UV2 products. I can say that I have experienced positive results using an UV2 RS2 this past Spring, on the East Walker River, in low light conditions as opposed the same pattern tied with Stalcup's BWO dubbing.

be69ed7b-10cf-42c1-9f91-ad5e1aa4504d_zps

Rather than go whole hog, it might be cost effective to add these two UV2 products to your existing dubbings:

UV2DUBBINGENHANCER-1-_zps3aaffde3.jpg

...just remember to use white thread, silver or pearl mylar beneath the dubbing, to bring out the UVR qualities. I used the UV2 Peacock herl on some Cream Miracle Midges, as a collar, and got into some very nice Browns...

uv-2-_11_zps2434ad78.jpg

...that material would make a interesting addition to standard PT nymphs...

I will keep ya' posted on some other UV2 patterns I am trying out on the Lower Owens River this Fall and Winter...

PT/TB

planettrout,

So what you are saying is just blend a little with the dubbing I already have? So jus get a couple of generic colors and mix in with stuff I am currently using. That at least won't kill my wallet so bad. My bass flies consist of more rabbit strips, marabou and deer hair with the standard synthetics like flashabou and crystal flash. Maybe I will just pic a few standard things and see what happens. The peacock herl sounds interesting to play with. This a lot of the bass and warm water stuff I use. Question? Does this uv stuff come into play at all with top water flies or is it mainly beneficial to sub surface patterns.

post-19822-0-98131800-1382375672_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-18250200-1382375684_thumb.jpg

I would suggest again the natural peacock has reflective properties and the shear number of flies from 100 years ago or more that are still tied with this material attest to its effectiveness. I'm not sure spending extra on UV peacock or UV JC is wise spending. Floss or dubbing or other synthetics I think is wiser use of UV enhancements.

Silk, I would think (always dangerous) that a surface fly would be just as apt to benefit from UV...IF...UV is really a benefit. Looking up from below a UV product would have a natural gleam to it from the sun's rays hitting it just as it would underwater. We must remember in overthinking this whole thing that UV rays from the sun penetrate overcast more so than one would think. Many sunburnt backs have proven this over the years.

I have just gotten the UV Clear Goo products and light last week and am being more amazed all the time at the reaction to so many products to the UV light. White in particular may not react at all or may glow pink, blue or green, all the time looking white in natural light. I have some products now that are UV enhanced and the funny thing about them is that they show no particular response to the UV light. I have some UV Ice Dubbing and it does not glow or change color in UV light. I have some synthetic hair that lights up like it was internally battery powered when the light hits it. I have tied (poorly) some of the G Nymphs that look so good when LuciV ties them and with the yellow Antron underneath translucent black nymph skin it turns a beautiful softly glowing shade of olive with little gill segments really lighting up. Makes me very anxious to give these a shot in stonefly water.

Hi everybody!

I am using UV reflectant dubbing such as hot orange or hot pink as trigger-points for czech nymphs and other nymph patterns. And - yes - I think it makes a difference. But I never did such thing as a comparison-study..... So only a subjective statement at that point.

Cheers, Obi

planettrout,

So what you are saying is just blend a little with the dubbing I already have? So jus get a couple of generic colors and mix in with stuff I am currently using. That at least won't kill my wallet so bad. My bass flies consist of more rabbit strips, marabou and deer hair with the standard synthetics like flashabou and crystal flash. Maybe I will just pic a few standard things and see what happens. The peacock herl sounds interesting to play with. This a lot of the bass and warm water stuff I use. Question? Does this uv stuff come into play at all with top water flies or is it mainly beneficial to sub surface patterns.

Yup, add it to the dubbing you already have. I don't fish top water flies for warm water species...or for bass...In fact I have not tossed anything at those guys since I lived in GA back in the 60's.

This is the Midge I used:

ew-cr-uv-2-midge-1_zpsdc85b166.jpg

At $5.95 for four sticks, that peacock herl is not a bad investment...wink.png

http://www.performanceflies.com/category-s/361.htm

PT/TB

Silk, I would think (always dangerous) that a surface fly would be just as apt to benefit from UV...IF...UV is really a benefit. Looking up from below a UV product would have a natural gleam to it from the sun's rays hitting it just as it would underwater. We must remember in overthinking this whole thing that UV rays from the sun penetrate overcast more so than one would think. Many sunburnt backs have proven this over the years.

I have just gotten the UV Clear Goo products and light last week and am being more amazed all the time at the reaction to so many products to the UV light. White in particular may not react at all or may glow pink, blue or green, all the time looking white in natural light. I have some products now that are UV enhanced and the funny thing about them is that they show no particular response to the UV light. I have some UV Ice Dubbing and it does not glow or change color in UV light. I have some synthetic hair that lights up like it was internally battery powered when the light hits it. I have tied (poorly) some of the G Nymphs that look so good when LuciV ties them and with the yellow Antron underneath translucent black nymph skin it turns a beautiful softly glowing shade of olive with little gill segments really lighting up. Makes me very anxious to give these a shot in stonefly water.

Remember that the light will identify materials that are UV fluorescent, and not necessarily UV reflectant.