Fly Tying
mozes

Waterproofing dry flies

How do you guys waterproof your flies at the bench. Is there anything available in craft stores or W-mart to do this?

I think you'll get about a thousand concoctions mentioned... laugh.gif .... but I heard Scotchguard is good and you can get that at Wally World.

I just wonder about the pollutants found in any of the stuff used for floatant. I know it's a minute amount..... but...... sad.gif

Thompson water seal its cheep and it works . I just put some in a empty margarine container as i tye Ijust drop my dry flies in the thompson, just soak a few second .ps make sure your head cement is dry first, Tight lines MIKE wink.gif

I don't waterproof my flies because I believe that when they are in "emerger mode" they draw strikes. I fish a ton of caddis and stimulators and fishing them "wet" seems to work when dry isn't.

Dabbing them on my shirt to dry them off serves two purposes, it dries them (duh!) and cools me off...

I've been using scotchgard for years and now i use a product called water shed..not sure how others work some leave to much fim and tend to make the fly heavy...thompsons, etc...

I use liquid silicone same as clear shoe dressing/waterproofing, you've probably got a bottle of it around the house. Small glass dish with the silicone in it then dunk the fly and let it sit for a while.

i use silicon boot spray i buy it for my shoes and flies. buy it in sporting goods at walmart about 3 0r 4 bucks a can and works well. same as scothgard but cheaper

FM

Ditto on Rainex. I keep a 35mm film can on my desk top. When I finish a tie, I drop it in there and when I have a half dozen or so, close it up, give it a shake and spread them out on paper towel to dry. Almost never have to retreat them.