Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Fish and Game Recipes

Kudu, I am psyced it worked out well. I really like the idea of doing it over an open fire. Only had the chance to do that once before. It added a great touch to an already great snack.

I'll continue to play along, because my daughter just gave me a ration of crap for not giving out her favorite receipt:

CEVICHE

1lb white fleshed fish fillet cut into 1/2 inch cubes (cat fish, white perch, rock bass, pan fish, any white flesh fish works fine)

1tps zest of grapefruit

1tps zest of lime

1/2c fresh grapefruit juice

1/2c fresh lime juice

1 medium tomato seeded and diced

1 small red onion finely diced

2Tbs extra virgin olive oil

4 cloves garlic minced

1 jalapeno veined and seeded and diced

1Tbs chopped cilantro

1Tbs chopped oregano

3 pinches of sea salt

1/2 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp ground cumin

Place the cubed fish in a large zippered plastic bag with the zest of lime/grapefruit and the juice of lime/grapefruit. refrigerate for 4-8 hours. I usually do this overnight.

Drain marinade and place fish in large bowl. Add the rest of ingredients, gently mix and refrigerate for 30 mins. Serve on your favorite crackers.

Michael

This first one will work with most any slab of fish. Used it with Lakers, Salmon, larger bass, and some saltwater fish I've bought. Mahi Mahi was exceptional. This is a very simple way to do nice fillets. I usually take a slab from a 3-4# bass and cut it in two pieces after complete deboneing. The lower rib portion we set aside to deep fry as snacks before the baked fish is done.

Take your slabs of fillets trying to keep equal thickness between pans. Shake thoroughly in your choice of seasoning. I use half frying magic and half Lindy's. Take a cookie pan and put in about an 1/8" of oil. I use Canola normally. Place slabs in pan not quite touching. Cover evenly with mayonnaise. Mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip. I prefer Miracle Whip, but not in this case. Sprinkle with lemon pepper and Lawry's seasoning salt. Bake in 350 degree oven approx. 30 minutes or until done. Mayo will make a nice lightly browned topping on the fish and it is delicious.

An additional note is when I do frozen fish and not fresh fish I give them a soak in milk and ice cubes for a half hour or so, swishing occasional. Kills the freezer taste and definitely improves the fish. Learned this from Dan Gapen of Muddler minnow fame.

Second recipe will turn some off because it involved killing a nice trout. We've also done this recipe with northern pike and salmon. Lakers are kind of fatty for this unless they're one of the leaner strains like the redfins we caught at Isle Royale.

I prepped the fish by completely scaling, slice next to and take out all fins, ending up with headless and finless fish. We then take the same sage stuffing we use in turkey on Thanksgiving and completely stuff the well cleaned cavity. Lay some bacon strips over the top of the fish (don't overdue). Wrap and seal in aluminum foil and bake at 350 for approx. and hour for a 5-6# fish. We'd check at about 45-50 minutes and get an idea how it was coming. When you open fish you can finish slicing the top of skin and peel off. Meat will flake off bone and stuffing is delicious. Bacon never goes to waste either.

Understand these salmon and trout recipes were when we were fishing Lake Superior and the tributaries constantly, plus I had a charter boat for Lake Superior and took out charters that often wanted the fish but then decided not to take them home with them (even tho I cleaned them). We had a lot of fish around and we ate them like described, plus I smoked a lot of salmon and the occasional Lake Superior carp or sturgeon.

Back when I lived up north and fished constantly I released a very large majority of my fish but kept my share for eating. I used to joke that I used the Al and Ron Lindner selective harvest system. If it selected my bait it got harvested. (It's a joke)

OK, I've just betters the duck pizza,

Almost the same, however make the onions caramelized and change the duck for some ground venison and bacon.

I just stuffed myself foolish for lunch and all I want to do is take a nap.

Michael

I just tried this, and it surpasses anything I have done with duck so far. It comes from Traeger Smokers receipt of the week.

Enjoy,

TRAEGER DUCK BALL POPPERS

INGREDIENTS
  • (2) 4 ounce duck or chicken breasts
  • 12 pieces thin cut bacon
  • --Cheese Mixture--
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 3 jalapenos, seeded and diced small
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • --Dipping Sauce--
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 16 oz package of cream cheese

PREPARATION

Starting with a piece of plastic wrap, cover the duck and pound it out to a ¼ inch thin piece, then cut it length wise into 3 pieces.

Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture in each strip of duck and roll them up. Wrap each duck ball with one bacon strip, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

When ready to cook start the Traeger on smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4-5 minutes). Set the temperature to 325 degrees and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.

Place the duck poppers on the grill, cook them for 15 to 20 minutes or until the bacon is fully cooked. Serve them hot with the dipping sauce on the side.

Fair warning: If you are sensitive to salt, cut this is half or more. I found with the bacon and the salt in the cheese mix to be too much. Second batch was incredible.

Michael

p.s. I suspect this would be fantastic with most game meet. My next try is going to be with moose possibly turkey.

Sounds great! I had to look up traegar smoker hadn't heard of them. Sounds like it would go good with pheasant.

Here is my favorite, though I rarely make it because I often catch and release. Great on salmon, browns, and bows.

For every pound of fish:

1/4 cup orange marmalade

2 tsp Soy Sauce

1 tsp Ground Ginger

1 tsp Ground Coriander

1 tsp Black Pepper (Or to taste if not a big pepper fan)

(For spicy lovers add 1/2 of a fresh Jalapeno finely chopped)

1 Lemon wedged

Mix everything up in a bowl (except lemons) baste it onto the fillets and either bake on a greased pan at 450F for 7-9 minutes (depending on thickness of fillets) then without taking it out of the oven broil until browned (keep a close eye on it or it will burn), OR grease a double layer of tinfoil and grill it on the bbq until fish is flaky. Squeeze fresh lemon wedge on once cooked. I like it served with garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed snap peas. I think this works great on fish you freeze also because it is real fresh tasting.

Waterside Salmon/Trout.

Light a fire.

Catch fish.

Kill fish (Important as the next steps are difficult if you don't).

Wrap fish in newspaper,

Soak wrapped fish in water.

Place on fire.

When newspaper starts to burn remove the parcel from the fire.

Open newspaper eat fish using your fingers.

Boiled chub (chevin) A traditional recipe.

You will need

One chub, about 4 lbs, a length of fence wire, barbed for grip, piece of hardboard slightly larger than the fish. Courtbullion, Fish Kettle (large), lots of water.

Tha teks 'chub 'n' tha wires it t' 'board. Tha drops in in t' fish kettle, wi' t' other ingredients. Cover wi' watter. Put 'im on t' boil. Top up watter as needed. After 3 days tha remove fish from t' kettle. Tek t' wire off. Then tha throws t' chub away, n' tha eats t' hardboard.

Cheers,

C.