Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTyer15

Beginner Vise

Hey, I just got my little brother into fly tying and was wondering what a good beginner vise would be? I'm looking to spend $50 or less. I don't want him using my peak rotary vise all of the time.

Thanks

Thing about cheap vises is they're disposable units. I'm not impressed with the quality of the jaws on them. That's why I'd up my budget to $100 and you'll have a vise that will serve for a lifetime as a second or substitute vise long after the cheap off-shore vises are in the garbage can.

My less-expensive vise is an Anvil Apex. You can get one off ebay for less than $100, or you can go to Bass Pro and pay $120. They're a fine vise, strong and grip like crazy. The head tilts so you can use it in a limited rotary in-line method if you want.

Second choice would be a Thompson A vise made in the USA. The old ones, not the new ones made in India. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap. They'll do the job.

Great link, Dcap240! Notice the antique Thompson B rated better than many of the more modern vises. I started on an even older Thompson A.

I've tried several of the less expensive vises in that list, and the cheaper ones are junk. The EZ-Rotary from Hook & Hackle is surprisingly good for it's price. It's at the high end of your price range, but it is a full rotary vise.

I just bought a Griffin spyder used. It is simple reliable and made in the US that is why I bought it. It is more though new they sell for 85.00 but they are worth it, and they are full rotary

Sorry buddy you blew it for me with your other post. No help here

FlyTyer15,

Not sure if you had found or have made a deicsion on a vise yet. I was in LL Bean in Freeport last month. They had their HMH Solstice on clearance or $39.99. They had a regular price of $89.99. I did a bit of research on this and found it was made as an exclussive for LL Bean. I was also told that it will except any of the HMH jaws if you wanted to upgrade.

Good luck.

Michael

We got my son the Bass Pro knockoff of the Regal and he loves it. When I got my actual Regal i offered him my Renzetti but he wouldnt give up the knock off so my youngest is using the Renzetti.

I checked with LL Bean and they didn't list any vises at all. Must have been a store special, or so discontinued it's not on their website. But for $40, it would be a great vise.