Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Hair Pin Intruder Shanks

I made a video last night to show a friend how to prepare hair pin intruder shanks and figured I would share it here with everyone. This is a cheap effective way to make waddington style shanks for intruders, hobo speys, articulated flies etc. At 6 cents per shank it is very cheap and great for those who tie commercially, loose a lot of flies, or like to play around with designs a lot. These also work well for articulated flies and game changer style minnows.

Is there anywhere in the U.S. that sells the straight pins. This is all I've ever seen.

And the metal of the pin isn't round, it's flat, so it won't do what you show.

I like the idea ... I just don't know if the wire pins are available.

These pins are an absolute pain to find in Canada or the U.S, they may be available and I just do not know the right people. I would try beauty supply stores and hair dressers first, worst case scenario you can find and order them off ebay, but they usually do not ship out of the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500-Straight-Wire-Brown-Hair-Pins-/251468881027?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Hair_Care_Brushes_Combs_PP&hash=item3a8cb69c83

I had a friend order me in 1500 pins and re-ship them to me personally, but I wonder if you looked hard enough if you could find them locally or at least stateside.

I get mine from Sally's. BUT I go to Joanns and get there floral stem wire 18ga 40 pieces in a pack 18' long for about $2. I makes all of mine from that now.

Kevin

I use stainless welding wire I got at a scrap yard for 5.00, over 3 lifetimes worth of wire. I make all my game changer and Waddington shanks from it.

you can buy a roll at your local welding supply but will cost a little more.

Thanks for all the great info, any chance of seeing that video.

The video is embeded in the original post, but can be found here as well:

"

"

copper works but bends easy, I do a few small game changers (3-4") build them up with thread base to tighten them up. will have to do some pics later.

You can get something like these in the USA. Search for Amish made straight hair pins.

Here is a minnow pattern that I am working on at the moment using these shanks for the articulated sections. This pattern worked wonders for me last summer on cold front bass.

post-45233-0-22615500-1394407909_thumb.jpg post-45233-0-20271800-1394407906_thumb.jpg post-45233-0-21733300-1394407904_thumb.jpg

I am in the process of making a step by step tying video for this pattern.

I just use stainless steel wire used for lure making, and have no worry about rusting. The cost of the wire is about $2.50 for 30 yards, so would be even cheaper than the hair pins.

The need for a jig, special lure making pliers and finding the proper gauge wire is a bit of a turn off for me personally, all the wire I have seen or purchased to play with has not impressed me at all.