Fly Tying

Rotary makes a pretty good guess. Remember that you can also mix those feathers to get a variety of effects (ala the Adams).

Steve

I can use ginger for PMDs, Sulphers, Yellow Sallies, and some caddis. Your flies may be better with cream.

Grizzly is the all-purpose, brown, dun(grey), I use black quite a bit. I have ginger, but use it less than others.

I'd never pass on an excellent Cree neck (or saddle in 14-16, or 16-18 should one jump in my lap).

I have also been struggling with this. I just bought my first dun hackle which cost me around 40$. Now I found myself wishing I had brown and grizzly. I have found quite a few good deals on ebay which I am looking into now!

McGnat, Ginger is a strong contender to knock Cream down a notch on my list. I really like Ginger for my Elk Hair Caddis (even if the pattern does call out Brown) and the patterns you mentioned Ginger works well. One thing that keeps the Cream in its fourth place slot on my list is I really like Bivisivibles and White Wulffs and so I sub with Cream instead of White for them and if I want light legs on my Elk Hair Caddis the cream doesn't look that odd :-) However, I though Ginger colored White Wulffs and Bivisibles did look strange to me. If it wan't for those two patterns I'd go with Ginger.

As mentioned earlier, it depends on where you fish. Here in the southeast, I use more dun and ginger than anything else, including grizzly. What I'm trying to match, though, are sulphers and BWO's. I do have a cream cape, but I don't think I've used it more than a few times. I also have black, which I rarely use as well.

Fact is, the hackle I use the most, these days, is a golden grizzly that I got from Charlie Collins.

I agree, a natural ginger or cree takes some beating. The only other colour I wouldn't be without is a light dun.

I fish in western alberta and bc. And if you dont mind me asking why would you choose ginger over cream?

I think ginger is a lot more versatile than cream. I've got a cream neck, but don't use it very much.

If you find a cree neck, you're a lucky man.