Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

dubbing streamers

Hi, I want to make some streamers that require a dubbed body, can I use a polyester yarn or will that add too much bouiancy. could I use yarn or floss instead of dubbing, The streamers are little brown trout and brook trout bucktails

Polyester yarn is not going to add enough buoyancy to matter for streamers, if any at all. Floss bodies are nice if you are going for a very thin traditional looking body, but synthetic yarn works fine as well, and will make are more durable fly.

Try using your yarn in a dubbing loop. Take about 6' of yarn and double it up afew times til you have about 16 lengths and then cut it up into about 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Blend it up in the coffee grinder and voila, you have dubbing! Now make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing. Spin it up and wrap it in. You can leave it shaggy or trim it up for a more slender body like a chenile. You can make color blends or just add different solid colors to your loop for a mottled look. Add some flashy material like SLF in with the dubbing for some flair. Have fun!