Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutinturnie

First crack at the Stimulator Fly

Greetings all,

Here's my first attempt at the Stimulator. Tied on size 10 Stimulator hook, looking for some feedback you all may have. The photo is a bit blurry, I think the camera was too close and a bit out of focus.

Your help is appreciated

Kyle

post-32587-0-05539000-1394645088_thumb.jpg

Not bad for a first try. The body looks too short and fat for that size hook. It should extend back farther on the hook. The tail is too long. The hackle doesn't look like the best quality, but it's hard to tell from the photo. Take care of the proportions and it will get better.

I believe your camera focused on the background rather than the fly. Try getting some distance between the fly and the background next time.

Excellent effort on your first stimulator. That said,...

Your tail is not only very long, it's also several times heavier than typical. That right there means you've got a lot of material under the body, which will create a thick abdomen regardless of how thin you otherwise try to dub it. For length, I like the tail to extend just slightly beyond the hook bend,...and for the abdomen to begin at the barb. I think those three points (amount of tail material, length of tail, and starting point of abdomen) will get you on your way to a better proportioned stimulator.

Thanks for the feedback, my next fly turned out alot better. I lessened up the tail and thinned up my body. I also lessened up my wing and was more picky on the hackle feathers I selected.

Kyle