Fly Tying
dawgvet

How to straighten Span-flex?

Help! I bought some Span-flex (aka- Sili-legs, etc., the Spandex flat leg material) and was wanting to tie some Girdle bugs. My problem is most of the material is curled when I take it out of the package and the legs look goofy. Has anyone found a way to straighten this stuff? I tried ironing a couple strands but that didn't work. I know this is a pretty geeky concern, but hey, we're fly tiers!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jed

I don't know about rubber legs but if my strung streamer hackle gets pushed into the corner of drawer and the quills set in a curve I can get rid of the curve by putting them in hot water for a soak. It's a process with strung hackle to get it to lay out straight to dry but it works. With rubber legs you might get the desired result with a similar soak. If you try it please post back.

Spanflex would not be my first choice for this pattern. Get a pack of olive Superfloss and I think you'll be much happier with the results, although don't get hung up on the fact that the legs are not exactly straight. As an aside, almost all of the Spanflex I bought about 10 years ago has deteriorated to the point where it will snap in two with no effort at all. As a result, I tossed my entire stash and exclusively use Superfloss or its variants. YMMV.

I quit buying spanflex for legging material due to the curling....too bad because it is more durable than rubber or silicone legs.

for tying girdle bugs, white rubber legs would be my first choice and is more traditional than spanflex

http://roundrocks.com/rrcart/images/Black%20Girdle%20Bug.jpg

for tying pats rubber legs, then it would be the spanflex or any other equivalent

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/uploads/The%20Pickle%20024.jpg

unnecessarily rude comment deleted by moderator. no such thing as a stupid question. if you disagree dont come back

Try soaking in a bowl of hot water. Between tap water hot and boiling. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Take it out and put hackle pliers on both ends. Let it hang for a day. The weight of the second hackle pliers is more than enough weight. It may take more than one application.