Fly Tying
COMike

What knot do you use to attach a fly to a tippet?

Question??? For those doing the clinch knot, not the improved clinch knot, why would you not just go the one extra move and make it the improved?? It is not rally any harder or time consuming. The clinch knot can come undone, not all of the time but it can. On the other hand it is very hard for the improved clinch knot to come undone. Why risk having a fish come off, just do the extra step and know you have a rather invincible knot??? I may be wrong, this is just my opinion.

In my opinion, the improved clinch is weaker than a well tied clinch knot.

There have been other tension tests like the one SilverCreek posted above that show similar evidence of the improved clinch being weaker than the standard clinch knot in some cases.

Here's a good article;

Classic Tip: Which Knot Should You Use to Tie on a ... - Orvis

Question??? For those doing the clinch knot, not the improved clinch knot, why would you not just go the one extra move and make it the improved?? It is not rally any harder or time consuming. The clinch knot can come undone, not all of the time but it can. On the other hand it is very hard for the improved clinch knot to come undone. Why risk having a fish come off, just do the extra step and know you have a rather invincible knot??? I may be wrong, this is just my opinion.

If it "can come undone" it is not tied correctly. Full stop.

While using nylon or fluoro, I have not had one "come undone" once it is drawn up completely and seated until there is nothing to slip.

If you ever use 30lb (or heavier) flouro for a bite tippet, you'll find that the so-called improved part causes extra bulk in the knot, and makes it more difficult to get seated correctly.

There isn't any one RIGHT knot for any situation--- there are always alternatives. Get very good at a few different knots for different situations and you'll be just fine, as long as you know the physics of what makes a good knot and what makes a knot fail.

The book "Practical Fishing Knots" by Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh is a good reference but nothing can substitute for experience.

Question??? For those doing the clinch knot, not the improved clinch knot, why would you not just go the one extra move and make it the improved?? .

If it "can come undone" it is not tied correctly.

Ditto. I tried the "improved" version a couple of times. Thought I was doing something wrong when tightening the knot would break it. Went back to the regular ol' unimproved version and don't have that problem.

I use clinch, improved clinch, and no-slip loop. It just depends

The clinch knot works fine, if the diameter of the tippet and the diameter of the metal in the hook eye are close to the same. If the hook eye wire is significantly thicker, though, the tag end can slip out, which is where the improved clinch knot works better.

I don't use either, though. I use my own version of the Pitzen. Easier to tie, less bulky and never slips.

Just last weekend, I watched a guy tie on a hook to his spinning rig. He passed the line through the eye of the hook, tied two over hand knots. He repeated those steps four or five times. When he was done, he had this mass of mono, but it was wrapped on the hook four or five times, and the final knot was as strong and sure as any I've tied.

I could've tied 8 Palomar knots in the same time frame, or two or three clinch knots, but he couldn't be deterred. He said he's been fishing for 20 plus years and he'd never had a knot come loose or break.

I left him there, both of us happy with our own way of doing things.

Which brings up my question ... PHG ... how does "your version" differ from the original Pitzen knot?

Just the way I bend the line. The final knot is the same.

I actually came up with my version back in the '90's when I was doing a lot of saltwater fishing. I invented the knot, but then later found that Pitzen had developed the same knot and named it. If you try to follow his instructions for tying it, though, it's almost hopeless! All it is, is a modified figure 8.