Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Backpackers special 7pc

This one is a packable rod for a backpacker headed to Yellowstone this year. Black wraps with metallic sage trim, wood insert set in BUL5 hardware and custom grip. Rounded out with minimas. Excuse the dust in the pics, been turning a lot of grips in the shop today.

a5i4.jpg

g0eo.jpg

k0pv.jpg

I like the inscription !!! LOL

Pretty glow to the rod, nicely set off with the wraps.

Perfect, as usual.

I've been looking for one of those in a 10' 5wt for ages. Its beautifully finished. Would you be able to ship to the UK?

Cheers,

C.

Nice one! Is that Rogers 5 weight?

Yes that's one of his blanks.

I've been looking for one of those in a 10' 5wt for ages. Its beautifully finished. Would you be able to ship to the UK?

Cheers,

C.

Yes I have shipped to the UK before, but I do not think the 7pc comes in a 10ft model though.

That's a beautiful rod, I love the blank color. I think the inscription is pretty funny actually

That's a really nice looking rod for sure.

I backpack to fish quite a bit, but I've never really understood the advantage of a 7pc rod over a 4pc for that application. Both strap to the side of a pack just fine in the tube. I don't get why you'd want more pieces to have to put together. I can barely contain myself trying to put a 4pc together stream side and do all the rigging. I'm always mis-aligning rod sections, skipping eyes and tying bad knots due to the anticipation. A 7pc might cause me a panic attack.

That's a really nice looking rod for sure.

I backpack to fish quite a bit, but I've never really understood the advantage of a 7pc rod over a 4pc for that application. Both strap to the side of a pack just fine in the tube. I don't get why you'd want more pieces to have to put together. I can barely contain myself trying to put a 4pc together stream side and do all the rigging. I'm always mis-aligning rod sections, skipping eyes and tying bad knots due to the anticipation. A 7pc might cause me a panic attack.

I do a lot hiking/backpacking myself with a dual rod 4pc tube. A 4pc rod in 9ft is about 32" long. A 7pc rod tube like this one is 20" long, it might not seem like a big difference but a foot less of tube hanging off the pack does make a big difference so a 7pc pack rod is much more portable and easy to carry than a 4pc one. Gotta keep in mind that die hard back packers are very mindful about the weight or size of their packs, so 12" less of tube to you or me whom are just day hiking to a stream with the main goal of fishing might not seem like that much. But to someone whom is packing deep into the backcountry for a week and wants to keep their gear as manageable as possible, then a 7pc tube is much more desirable than a 4pc. Mis-aligning sections is not a concern on my rods, I put alignment dots as standard issue on all of my 7pc rods.