Fly Tying
Chase Creek

Attacked!

When I was doing some exploring for small streams up North (between Cadillac & Traverse City, Mich) last week, I followed a small two-track to the end. As I got out of my car, I heard some screeching, and got buzzed by a Northern Goshawk defending its near-by nest. Picture is out of focus cuz I was DUCKING. They defend the nest Very aggressively, sometimes actually drawing blood. Second shot was when it was waiting to launch another fly-by.

post-4211-0-81488400-1401738780_thumb.jpg

post-4211-0-41162800-1401738793_thumb.jpg

Cool pics. Some lovely breast feathers. Today the herring gulls were doing the same to a fella outside the pub. He looked totally bemused.

Goshawks have been known to draw blood defending their nest. I believe the trail folks on the Appalachian Trail had to re-route a portion of the trail temporarily cuz a Goshawk had been attacking (and wounding) hikers who came too close to the nest. Kind of unusual to even see one in these parts.

That second picture is excellent-- sharp as a tack. And what a beautiful bird. The first pic is cool just because of the story behind it.

I've never had a raptor encounter up that way, but I was once chased off the Boardman by bats. I was fishing a Hex dun and the wings made a fluttery noise when it was cast. Every time I'd cast it, a cloud of little brown bats would materialize and swirl around my head. I know they're harmless, but it was a little creepy for me. :)

Great Pictures! Thanks for actually having the presence of mind to snap them. I would be diving for the underside of my Jeep trying to stay away from their talons!!!!

Mike :)