Fly Tying
hairwing

June flies from the bench

Inverted Rusty Spinner (#12 2xl for Grey Drake Spinner

Really love the inverted look of that Spinner; I know that fly will catch some wary trout when Sulphur Spinners are on the water!

Thanks for sharing the pattern,

TC

Switch ... that's a perfect cricket!!!

I don't know if that's what you want it to be ... but that what it looks like, to me!

Switch ... that's a perfect cricket!!!

I don't know if that's what you want it to be ... but that what it looks like, to me!

Thanks Mike. Yeah, cricket or small hopper. The brookies love em!

ATX ... cool looking butterfly. It'll be a bitch to cast ... fluttering unnervingly past your ear and dying in mid-flight. If you're planning on fishing it, heavy fly line, short leader ... powerful forward cast stroke. But I'd almost hate to see that one get destroyed by some fish.

Thanks man, yeah i don't fish that pattern. I made it for my daughter. A lot easier to tie than they look, weave the body with ultra chenille, use black Ostrich Herl for the thorax, peacock herl for the antennae and Black Laced Chartreuse Saddle Hackle for the wings which is hard as heck to find. I must admit that when i first tied it i was tempted to use it 1 day- i had a rough day on the water one of those no fish after 6 hr days and i said to myself maybe i should those this damn butterfly and see what happens, glad i never did.

Inverted Rusty Spinner (#12 2xl for Grey Drake Spinner

Really love the inverted look of that Spinner; I know that fly will catch some wary trout when Sulphur Spinners are on the water!

Thanks for sharing the pattern,

TC

Thanks! Still haven't verified it lands well (some concerns it'll land upside down.)

Okay ... the first one looks pretty bad. It'll take a few tries.

First thing that happened, while I was wrapping the foam down, the string broke. I restarted so the segment wraps are too many.

The foam ... as I wrapped and trapped it, each segment pulled the foam farther bake from the eye. I ended with a nice proboscis on my bug. You've seen my videos, you'll know that make the bug truly a chip off the ol' block.

Then, I tried square rubber legs. I wanted 6 legs. the rear legs twisted a bit. You can't really see it, but the other leg is over there, it's just sticking out straight away from the camera.

I do like the bug ... and I think the Bluegills will tear it up, so I am going to try again.