Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C Teeter

Caught my 2nd & 3rd smallmouth last weekend

Went up to Van Buren, Mo and wet waded the Current river last weekend with my dad and brother. I landed two fish on my 6wt fishing a weighted San Juan worm, drifting some pocket water on the edge of a current seam. I kept seeing this smallmouth dart out into the current and grab something before dropping back in the slack water over a dark bottom. I could tell where he was holding and probably made twenty cast before I got the fly in front of him, man was it on when I did, that was my second smallmouth ever and the biggest by far. He was between 2.5 to 3 lbs and gave my 6wt all it wanted pound for pound the strongest bass I have ever fought. He fought so hard I didn't think I would get him in, he spooked another smaller fish on one of his runs upstream which I caught I few minutes later. I don't know who was hooked better the fish or me!! But I sure can't wait to get back and do it again. I hope everyone gets to have the same experience this summer, and plants a big wet one their fish too

Is there anything more exciting than putting your fly in front of a fish you can see and watching him take it? ( I was going to qualify that with a "piscatorial-speaking" but metaphorically I think it stands up.)

Congrats on the smallies! The Current's on my list this year, awesome area over there.

Sounds great, and you don't have to qualify a river smallmouth with "pound for pound". A 3# river smallie like you caught hooked tail to tail with a largemouth of most any size and that smallmouth would drown the bigmouth in a matter of minutes. I've also had the chance over the years to catch some nice river and lake smallmouth and tho I've never caught a fish I didn't like (well, there are those eelpout things) smallmouth will always top the list.

Yeah that is a really nice area if it didnt have the massive tube hatches it would be a great place to fish. I agree they need no qualification pound for pound, being a newbie to smallies I was absolutely amazed at their strength, can't wait to get back!!

Love smallmouth. Right now I'm up in Vermont, working on trying to catch a couple from the lakes around where I'm at. So far nothing but rock bass, My favorite way to fish for them is top water, either they blow it up or sip it gently like a trout but when you set the hook you know it ain't know a trout.

That would be considered a big fish anywhere. That's a very pretty fish. Looks like a good fighting fish.