Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

post-55238-0-69831800-1489595696_thumb.jpg Kudu! It's viina, it's not vodka! But better, made from potatoes, no cemicals! EU law forces bottles to be labeled vodka for lak of a better word! This is a pic of the small bottle of the best brand i keep to give flies with loon uv resin a drink in to make tak free! Don't drink it these days! Trust me, this is good, but can easily send you & your life down hill!

Show us you catch Adam.

Maybe time to start a saltwater fish photos thread, eh?

Recently seen a couple different black and orange baitfish things so tried my own with what little bit of orange buck tail I had. Should ride hook up.

post-44758-0-68473100-1490015926_thumb.jpg

Recently seen a couple different black and orange baitfish things so tried my own with what little bit of orange buck tail I had. Should ride hook up.

salty, post up your favorite Gator trout fly, I want to tie one up for you and send back on the BU turnaround

One like the top one caught my biggest yet. They suspend and move nicely on the surface in 18" of water.

Haven't had any fish to throw the red & white at since our algae bloom last year killed everything.

That orange and yaller one is for the surf or deeper channels.

post-44758-0-08368100-1490030823_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-53288400-1490030836_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-10181800-1490030842_thumb.jpg

post-47446-0-16115100-1490030927_thumb.jpg

Always looking for short cuts.

Used continuous 6 strands of flasabou to

extend for tail. Next wrapped it to form body, and lastly left remainder to finish tail.

I like the way you wrapped the hook. Very nice and light.

Bet it'll cast a whole lot easier than that orange thing I just tested.

Needs a 9wt cuz my 8 was struggling. Didn't think it that heavy and bulky but it is.

Nice ties, dudes! The late Jack Gartside used to demonstrate how to tie an entire fly from a single bunch of mylar flash. He did the tail & body like the pic above, then he'd make loops under and over the shank, tie it off, snip the loops, and it's done. There's never been anyone who could do more with less than Jack did. He could take a shoelace and a spool of thread and come up with a killer fly.

Salty - love those streamers. Nothing says "crippled minnow" like a deer hair head.

Thanks Salty & Peter.

Salty real nice spun deer hair flies.

Peter it would have been neat to see Jack tie the one you mentioned.

What size hook was he using?