Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

A few crabby things for a swap.

Nice crabs.

When tying for a swap or say a dozen for yourself. Do you tie one step on all flies then another, and so on. Or do you do one fly at a time?

Congo hair baitfish, topped with SF olive flash blend, inspired by Troutbum11's video post. I put the littlest one in front of a judge, and he said "yup".

post-52832-0-77625300-1496289259_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-27134500-1496289241_thumb.jpg

fshng2 in this case I tied them in assembly line fashion. First step was lead eyes and orange marabou and mono eyes. Second step was grizzly claws on all eight. Last step was deer hair carapace and silly legs.

Crabs have a lot more steps than a baitfish or seaducer which I tie one at time. Also this was actually the first time I tied more than one crab at a time. Doing the step thing seemed to be better for me.

Old hat, I actually don't know what size hooks they were. Loose left overs from some jigs I made but they appear to be about size 1 when compared to SC15.

Congo hair baitfish, topped with SF olive flash blend, inspired by Troutbum11's video post. I put the littlest one in front of a judge, and he said "yup".

attachicon.gifKIMG0937.JPGattachicon.gifKIMG0934.JPG

Nice work Islander; I don't argue with the judge.

fshng2 in this case I tied them in assembly line fashion. First step was lead eyes and orange marabou and mono eyes. Second step was grizzly claws on all eight. Last step was deer hair carapace and silly legs.

Crabs have a lot more steps than a baitfish or seaducer which I tie one at time. Also this was actually the first time I tied more than one crab at a time. Doing the step thing seemed to be better for me.

Old hat, I actually don't know what size hooks they were. Loose left overs from some jigs I made but they appear to be about size 1 when compared to SC15.

I was thinking it made sense to tie this pattern assembly line fashion too.

I guess it depends if their is a natural stopping point and a lot of steps and material.

I find once you get into a rhythm (after three) things look better and go much faster.

I could do an SBS if anybody is interested. How ever none of my crabs have ever actually been tossed at a fish to prove their worthiness or lack of.

I could do an SBS if anybody is interested. How ever none of my crabs have ever actually been tossed at a fish to prove their worthiness or lack of.

I'd like to see it.

I'm thinking sheepshead would love those!

Ok, I'll get started on it. But it will take me a bit to put it all together and make sense out of it.