Fly Tying
hairwing

Ooops.......

Looks like a young starling to me, which are not protected! Just hide the evidence if the feather cops show up at your house, just in case! rolleyes.gif

One of the challenges for me when I was a young tyer (before genetic hackle) was trying to match hackle up with the really small hooks and flies I needed on my local river. Vince Marinaro was a guy that headed me in the right direction by suggesting the Starling neck hackle for tying dry fly midges. Bingo ! The starling worked for me.

The young dead bird in the image is a Starling. A very young one, a fledgling, prolly just got out of the nest. The feathers have not developed to the coloration of the adult bird.

Many only think of the Starling as wet fly material, which it is very useful for, many also don't realize it's good for the dry fly too.

Here's a #24 "male black gnat" I did a while back for example........

001_zpsdf7634f8.jpg

PS....I ain't afraid of the feather cops. The bird is unprotected and like Marinaro, I consider it a great sustainable resource for fly tyers.

I accidently murdered a golden finch with the Taurus on the way to work the other morning. I considered going back and picking up some of the feathers, but I was already late for work....

Glad I'm not the only one who's had similar ideas before.

I accidently murdered a golden finch with the Taurus on the way to work the other morning. I considered going back and picking up some of the feathers, but I was already late for work....

Okay not sure if you're referring to the gun brand, as my dad has a Taurus 40cal pistol? Are you saying you "accidentally" shot a songbird? If so, how do you accidentally shoot something? If not, then what do you mean?

Okay not sure if you're referring to the gun brand, as my dad has a Taurus 40cal pistol? Are you saying you "accidentally" shot a songbird? If so, how do you accidentally shoot something? If not, then what do you mean?

he's prob reffering to a ford taurus

he's prob reffering to a ford taurus

Yes, she's referring to the Ford Taurus. :)

Those (American Goldfinch) are good looking little birds. I really like the yellow gold, would make some great material for a pale morning dun in some form or another.

....but, that bird is protected and it's well you went on to work and left the bird be.

large.jpg

Hairwing,

Yes, I know. And I felt so awful for accidentally hitting it. I mean, I'm that driver that brakes for any kind of wildlife, even birds. But, I guess sometimes you can't help it.

The finch in that picture is a little more golden than the finches in my neck of the woods. One of my favorites!

I've always wondered if a warden checks on you when your fly fishing if they would actually go through fly boxes and look at the feathers. Are they really going to be able tell that a hackle came from the fly shop or under the bird feeder? I always want to pick up every feather I see and tie something out of it, but I usually just leave them on the ground so I don't ever have to find out if they do comb through the old fly boxes.

Call me a "rebel" ... or a criminal if you please. We have a dozen bird feeders in the front yard. I KNOW I've help family after family of feathered parents, raise their noisy little flesh balls into full fledged beautiful birds. (I don't like kids, even animal ones)

So, when I see a pretty feather on the ground, I just consider it a form of "thanks" from the birds and pick it up. We've got a wine glass just bristling with different colored feathers.

That being said, I've found that most "wild" small bird feathers are somewhat useless for tying flies.

1) Some feathers are too stiff ... being actual "practical use" feathers and not decorative ones that we tie with.

2) Most of the feathers are too small to be useful. You might be able to do fins on a Pat Cohen style "bluegill" or something, but there's not enough to wrap around a hook or even to make a decent length tail.

3) Both of the above only matter if you get a pristine feather. By the time you pick on off the ground, one of two things apply.

1. It's a molted feather ... it's "worn out" and broken.

2. It's from a dead bird, and bugs and bacteria have started eating the fibers.

So, they look pretty in a vase ... but not very practical for tying.

With regards to "roadkill" and "feathers"....

My wife found a golden eagle....not sure if it was....last month on the road near our home. She told me about it and I went to the "site"...NASTY...but there were cool feathers I might have taken for a fly.

I read online prior that there are "protected birds" here in Colorado and was VERY hesitant to take some of the feathers.

I elected to not do so and pulled up my book marks for feathers...

http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/prog/blm_special_areas/birds_of_prey_nca/links/raptor_possession.html

I still have my wife on the hunt for roadkill but when a bird is on the asphalt I will look at it but NOT take the feathers.

Mike:)

Better safe than sorry. You CAN use protected species feathers and fur if you follow a few simple rules:

1) Always fish at night, in full black dress and vehicles.

2) Always wear a disguise and leave all revealing documents at home (wallet w/licenses, dog tags, etc.)

3) Always walk several blocks from your home before hailing cab to your favorite fishing destination.

4) Acid etch your finger prints off your fingers and get your dental work redone once a season. (preferably with a dentist in another country)

5) Carry a snorkel that looks like a cattail stalk to avoid encounters with other night time folk by hiding under water ... you never know who they might be.

6) Keep your catch by using 60 lb. braid as a "stringer" and tying the other end to hidden shoreline structure. You can return at another time to recover it.

Now you are ready to use your Goldfinch tailed, Eagle feather parachuted, Tiger fur dubbed, Cardinal hackle winged mayfly pattern.

let me see if i have this right. if i was out fishing, picked up a feather and stuck it in my hat; i could be charged?