Fly Tying

Fun time today at TRWD Flyfest on the banks of the Trinity River in Fort Worth by the Acme Brick Company. Lots of fly fishing related things to do and learn, tasty foods, and tasty beer.

Although we did not catch a fish; had one on but lost it, did see others do well in the Big Trout Contest!

Do hope to make it back out there for another chance at a Bruiser Trout!

Did I see that right, you lost that fish while trying to "put it on the reel"? That was my experience. The only time I ever tried to get a big bass "on the reel", it got off while I was taking up slack.

I don't use the reel to bring in any fish, anymore.

All those people thrashing the water, and catching trout. It's sights like that, make me believe, in the right conditions trout are just as easy to catch as Bluegill.

Did I see that right, you lost that fish while trying to "put it on the reel"? That was my experience. The only time I ever tried to get a big bass "on the reel", it got off while I was taking up slack.

All those people thrashing the water, and catching trout. It's sights like that, make me believe, in the right conditions trout are just as easy to catch as Bluegill.

Hi mikechell, sure did lose it like you said. Worse, went back the next day and lost three more... went back to bringing them in by the line instead. Lost them too but they throw the hook quickly. Even worse, was crowded more than the day of the flyfest. Still working that video. Will post later this week.

Updates from the Team on our latest happenings. Monday and Tuesday were both non-fishing days but still winners for the Team. Still working on the follow-up video of the fishing on the Trinity River the day after TRWD Flyfest. Saw more nice size trout being caught; your's truly lost three and left empty handed. Still a fun time!

There are two vastly different kinds of trout. Hatchery-raised stocked "doughbelly" trout are probably easier to catch than bluegills, in some situations. Wild trout are usually an entirely different story.

Wild trout aren't necessarily hard to catch, but you can't catch them in a scenario like that. You have to be stealthy, and use a good presentation ( no drag) to get hits. Half of the game is keeping the fish from seeing you and spooking. Casting from a squatting or kneeling position is a common thing with wild fish and clear water.

Had a fun time at TRWD Flyfest 2019; went back the following day. Lots of fishermen, lots of opportunity, but did not land an trout. Did lose three on the line, and saw lots more in the river as well as on other people's lines but for your's truly it was a strikeout. No worries... lotta fun. just wish we brought PowerWorms or Mouse Tails. Those were the baits of choice that day!

Made the run to Oklahoma this weekend to fish the Blue River! Trout stocking season is winding down, so decided to make a trip and try our luck. Was a tough go with murky waters but our fishing partner caught four but only kept three trout; all were caught on ultralight spinning gear and using PowerWorms!

Did hook (although foul hooked) one trout; and then caught one and landed it but lost in when trying to put it on the stringer! Overall, was an awesome day on the Lady Blue! Made better with some nice trout for a tasty brunch Sunday morning. Do stay tuned for the catch and cook video! Blue River Trout Fishing and KFC Buffet... Doesn't Get Any Better!

Made it out this morning catching a few Bass while guarding their beds... video to post later; but, for now... a catch and cook video from last week's trip to the Blue River in Oklahoma; your's truly hooked and lost a few but our fishing buddy was able to bring home three nice trout caught using PowerWorms. Posted the action on the River last week on our channel. This video follows it showing the Team cooking the trout for a next morning Brunch! Do check it out! Blog Post.

Quick updates from the Team recapping events these past few weeks. And then, another Near Deere Give Away! This round as in our last two give aways, we picked a number from 1 to 100.

Simple rules... one guess per day submitted in the comments of our YouTube Channel - COAF Field Team (https://www.youtube.com/coaffieldteam) or Facebook Page (@CoafFieldTeam). First to guess the number with a US mailing address wins! Good Luck! Blog Post.

Near Deere give away continues but did get a round of fishing in this past weekend and yesterday and a quick trip today; still editing video... Here is Saturday's fun...Did some scouting at Bethany Lakes in Allen to see if the Bass were on their beds this past Saturday. Sure enough they were... Caught a couple, then later went back to the Mouse Tail and caught as well as lost some. No worries... great time fishing Saturday!

Out an about Sunday, March 24... stopped at Bethany Lakes in Allen for a try at the bass on their beds with a fishing fly we made for trout but modified it some to go for bass.Change of plans though... bass did not want to strike anything on their beds. Instead, a hatch started and they started feeding on them... some little bug, so we went with a Griffith's Gnat and caught one, lost others, and then on to another pond later in the day. Struck out at the other pond, plus had to call it early do to a passing storm. Looked like it was going to miss us, so started grilling along and chilling with a Margarita or two! It did not... storm arrived and hailed on us too! Bummer... at least we got the grilling done! Plus caught a Bass!

Great question from a Reader of the Texas Fishing Forum. Posted on the forum a thread titled, "Went Fishing"... it's in the fly fishing section. Readers asks for a "friend" advice on purchasing echo ion fly reels from a local store in order to pay cash and avoid the significant other's complaints on buying more fishing gear... although one can never have enough fishing gear, we can relate at times to this "friend's" dilemma. To answer the mail, we posted our answer in this video... do check it out but we recuse ourselves in the event someone gets caught... Note: The information is provided for entertainment purposes only, and should not be taken as advice. Proceed at your own risk!

Stopped at Crowley Park Pond in Richardson, TX after work one day; after figuring out a pattern hooked but lost several Bass. Came back the next day and caught one after modifying Mop Fly to use a wider gap hook. Did lose several others, and then watched on fisherman catch a nice Bass using a $10 Kid's Fishing Combo! Fun stuff!

Fished Kroger Park in Allen, TX Sunday, March 31, 2019. Struck out but did have a few strike fishing flies; just could not connect. Came back Tuesday, Arpil 2, 2019. Managed to catch a Bass on a Foam Grasshopper; shortly after lost the fishing fly to a snag.

After trying different patterns, settled on a Damsel Fly Variant that kinda looks like a Dragonfly. Soon after caught two Bass and a Bluegill before calling it a trip as it got dark.

Fun times... liking the 6wt TFO Fly Rod with the Echo Ion Fly Reel and OPST Commando Head!

Finished the day job and kicked off the weekend with some pond fishing for bass on the fly. Not sure where we were going to fish; plan was to stop at a pond on the commute home. Several options on the way; ended up fishing Stoney Hollow Pond in Plano. Went with the trusty 6wt TFO Rod, Echo Ion Reel, and OPST Commando Head that we keep handy. Started out fishing the Damsel Fly Variant that worked at Kroger Park the other day. Later, switched to other flies before settling on a Tube Fly... a Tube Popper Fly that we tied several years back. Managed to catch two bass with it then lost the fly to a nice bass that broke off.

Thought we lost the fly but was able to recover it, unfortunately, did not have any more treble hooks. Only had fishing flies with the largest hook size being a size 8. After a miss with a small size 12 egg pattern to replace the treble hook, switched to a KDM minnow in size 8. Managed to land one more bass before it got too dark. Kept at it well after dark and guessed we had 10 missed hook sets. Next time, will bring more hooks! PS: Due stay tuned; plan to post a video on how we make the Tube Popper Fly!