Fly Tying

Watched this video while Wife was watching a TV show ... so I had the volume down.

I know some of the big names in fly fishing demonstrated fly fishing without a rod. This rod looks to be nearly there. It sure doesn't look "easy" ... or even "fun", to me. That steel rod, with that large chunk of spring in it, looks heavy.

I could be wrong, but I'm turn off enough by the looks that I wouldn't bother trying one. There are plenty of options for short rods, either adapted like some of yours, or break down. I'll take one of those.

Watched this video while Wife was watching a TV show ... so I had the volume down.

I know some of the big names in fly fishing demonstrated fly fishing without a rod. This rod looks to be nearly there. It sure doesn't look "easy" ... or even "fun", to me. That steel rod, with that large chunk of spring in it, looks heavy.

I could be wrong, but I'm turn off enough by the looks that I wouldn't bother trying one. There are plenty of options for short rods, either adapted like some of yours, or break down. I'll take one of those.

Makes sense... liking this one mainly because I can keep it in the pickup and not worry about breaking it.

Fished with the EmmRod Fly Rod the other day using the OPST Commando Head that we have on out Echo Ion 4/5 Wt Reel. Was able to catch a few fish once we made adjustments to our cast. Adjustments made were to the hand hold of the shooting head and the amount of shooting head to let out before starting the cast. Also, had to contend with line management as the mono running line tended to snag on rocks and brush at our feet.

Afterwards, decided to try using a traditional fly line - specifically, a WF 5wt. Thoughts were...

- No need to setup each cast based on a specific hand hold on the shooting head

- Less snags and tangles with the mono running line would make for more fishing and less untangling of line

- Since a Switch Cast or Roll Cast would be limited by the short length of the EmmRod Fly Rod, benefit of a shooting head was less.

- And, since the plan was to fish areas where a backcast could be used, overhead and sidecast would be used most often when fishing.

To check which line we preferred to use on the EmmRod Fly Rod, did a quick "lawn test" of both lines. End result: We intend to use the traditional 5wt WF Fly Line when fishing the EmmRod Fly Rod!

Setup the surf casting rod and made the run to Brockdale Park (Lavon). Thought the park was closed, planned to walk down from the gate. Arrived and found out it was open. Drove down to the parking area. Lake level is up. Able to get some great surf casting practice in. No fish but did have a few boats come close to the point where we were casting. Was casting well past the wakes they left. Next round... hopefully Denison Dam?

Fished Lavon last Friday and struck out, then Denison Dam last Saturday and struck out, too! Went to Texoma last Sunday, and struck out again!

No chance to fish until this Saturday... finally broke the streak by fishing Stoney Hollow Park Pond using the TFO 6wt Fly Rod and Echo Iion 6/7wt reel. OPST Commando Head did well casting into the wind!

Managed a Bass, a fingerling Bass, and little Bluegill as well as a nice sized Bluegill. Used a Tube Fly Popper to take the Bass, a Foam Damsel Variant for the fingering Bass, and then a Red Marabou Damsel Fly and a Guadalupana for the Bluegill!

Lots of fun! Feel much better having broken the streak!

FYI... finally uncluttered the messy room where we store our fishing gear and other things!

One rod rack used paracord and two screws to mount fly rod tubes to the wall of our home office / fishing room.
Another rod rack we used was made of wood and mounted to the wall. It costs about $30 to mount 40 fishing rods. Much cheaper than the commercially made ones!
Lastly, we used a PVC Floor Rod Rack to store six fishing rods that we would be using in the near term - surf casting rods, kayak fishing rods, and a couple of EmmRods.
Do check out the overview video and links to videos for more details on how we made each type of rod rack!

Mixing it up this round. Normally do a Near Deere Give Away but since we have been organizing our fishing gear wanted to share the wealth and give away the Paracord Fly Rod Tube Rack we demo'd in a video we posted last week! In parallel, wanted to celebrate National Margarita Day with a toast and a little ukulele time song... "Empty Glass" sounds right! Do check out the video, and do enter guesses in the comments. Will announce a Winner on Monday 29 July in conjunction with the 8PM Central weekly vlog post! Good luck and good fishing! And, Happy Margarita Day!

Looks like they stopped discharging water at our local dam and have done back to generating power on a demand basis again. Made it Sunday and caught and missed a few before they started generating power. Put out a couple of videos that may be of interest to some!

Another early post of our weekly video... this one is a "twofer" plus one! First is a video that details how we decide to fish a dam... Denison Dam in this instance. Lots of content and info we hope Viewers find useful when fishing their area. Second video is the trip to Denison Dam on Saturday July 27, 2019. Was a fast bite at first light, then had to adjust after the Power Plant started generating. Plus one is a snippet at the end of the first video where we announce a randomly selected winner of the Paracord Fly Rod Tube Rack!

Do check them out when able, and do subscribe for more "Learn to fish by our trials and errors" videos!