Fly Tying
breambuster

"My Trout Box Needs Help" Swap

My flies are still in work, should be finished up this week. Having issues with my partridge feathers, that's what I get for buying them in a package instead of the whole skin...

Caddis emerger soft hackle:

hook- #16 scud

thread- 70 denier

tail- starling

abdomen- 3 color wool mixture (very lightly and loosely dubbed)

ribbing-caddis green elastic cord (from craft store)

thorax- black marker also color 3" of thread (if not using black thread)

hackle- starling

This is intended to be a caddis pupae free from its case and free drifting in the water column just prior to emergence. If you are on the water during a caddis hatch, try one of these. Trout seem to prefer taking the emergers rather than the adults many times as they are a much easier target. Don't forget the "Leisering lift" with this pattern.

As I've mentioned, mine can be found on top of page 3 of the Appalachian Swap thread. The dry is not supposed to be a Yellow Sally per se but what the site listed as a "Yellow Bodied Grey Hackle". Just seems to be a bigger dominance of yellow on those flies than you'd find in a lot of area specific sites. Hardly a dun in the bunch, tho I think I did put an Adams in for you.

My fly is a Tellico Nymph Size 8

Hook- #8 Eagle Claw

Thread- Yellow 210 Danier

10 wraps of lead

Tail: Guinea Feathers

Body: Yellow Floss

Rib: Peacock Herl

Shell: Turkey Wing

Hackle: Grizzley

I have my own version I usually make, hope everyone like it. One thing for sure it WILL catch fish, or at least get bites. The catching is up to you.

My flies are still in work, should be finished up this week. Having issues with my partridge feathers, that's what I get for buying them in a package instead of the whole skin...

Scott, I know what you mean. I bought feathers a few times but ended up spending hours sorting them to get about half the package that was decent. I finally popped for a sking (not that expensive) and the first time I pulled off a bunch of soft hackle to tie a dozen flies I realized how good a skin you controlled was over buying a pack of feathers. No comparison and I'm sure you can get hundreds of flies from the skin besides other usable stuff for wings and streamers.

Scottk and vicrider,

I am pretty sure that the olive and natural Hungarian partridge skins I have, while expensive, were the best purchase I have made for tying flies. I use them for all the time they make great legs, soft hackles and even tails. You get a really good range of sizes a good number of each size, the best part is the ease of finding different size feathers. The first partridge I purchased was in the little bags and I was so disappointed, there was almost no usable feathers, it was a total waste of money.

BreamBuster be on the look out for, a swarm of Tellico's coming in the mail. They left out today so you should see them in a day or so.

The neatest thing happened today & I wanted to share it with you guys. The other day when I was corresponding with Shoebop about the addy for him to send his flies, I noticed that his profile includes a quote by Sparse Grey Hackle. I have never read anything by him, but I did vaguely remember hearing about him, years ago. I knew that he had written for magazines or newspapers, or whatever, but I didn't know which. But I knew that he had been a writer back in the days when Fly Fishing was really taking off. And I knew that one of my favorite books from that era is "A Wedding Gift: And Other Angling Stories" by John Taintor Foote. So I did a search on Amazon and came up with a used book store that had a copy of "The Best Of Sparse Grey Hackle" for sale & I ordered it. Today's mail brought a REALLY nice set of Caddis Soft Hackles from Shoebop and my copy of "The Best Of Sparse Grey Hackle, BOTH! Both items were in today's mail, and I thought it was a neat coincidence. Haven't had any time to read yet, but I will in just a bit.

Thanks, Shoebop, for the flies and for the extras. VERY much appreciated. Cannon, I'll keep an eye out for your flies.

Take care

BB

We received Cannonx4's flies. A swarm of Tellicos! Very nicely done. Thanks Cannon. And thanks for the extras! Ought to be good for a few trout, for sure.

Take care

BB

Update: I leave tomorrow on one more backcountry backpaing /fishing trip. When I get back, I will finish my flies and get them off. I know we are still nearly a month out, but I didn't want you to think that I've forgotten about the swap. FYI in the past month and a half I will have been in the backcountry nearly 4 weeks! No room or weight (or time!) to spare in my backpack to carry my portable fly tying kit to tie flies during that time...

On the search for some 18"+ tiger trout this weekend...

Jimboha!

Good luck, Jimboha. Send pictures.

Thanks. Will do, if I can get them of my phone... smart phone is getting dumb.

We received a nice set of Gray Fox Variants today from Fishingbobnelson. They are really nice and I KNOW the trout can't wait to take a swipe at one of these. Thanks for some great flies, Bob, and thanks for the extras!

Take care

BB

Flies are on the way BB. I had to turn my partridge into a starling, so the pattern is slightly different from the recipe.... Hopefully they'll still work. :)