Fly Tying
vicrider

"Tie your favorite" swap

Joseph Russell, glad to let you know that the flies finally got here. I always get worried when what usually takes a couple of days begins to stretch out further and further. Very nice and delicate tie. Just looks and feels as light as a feather.rolleyes.gif One more set on it's way and I can finally get these turned around and heading out. I'm going to prompt all you guys ahead of time to keep a watch for the "Santa Swap". I'll do this one this year and will lay out rules and guidelines for this swap soon.

Okay guys, we're all here. Artimus, I feel bad you spent that $$ for air mail but it is people like you who do everything for a swap that makes the ones like young Frankie98 who drop out with no notice or response all the more irritating. I complete understand your reasons for running a bit behind but hate to see you spend that for air mail but hope you're really happy with flies in swap.

And for those who dropped an extra or two in box, thank you much for that and I will get these sorted, stacked, turned around and out tomorrow morning. Too late to get it all done for today. My Post Mistress likes to see me come in since I do more than my share of keeping PO going. Today I had airmail from Canada, fly reel come in from England, package sent to Queensland Australia, and two packages going out with both in and out postage. She loves us swappers.

Okay, everything went in the mail today. I think I got everything sorted right. Because we were a swapper short everyone got an extra from someone. I did not try to match these, just thru them in hoping I didn't sent anyone's back. Also, since I had done a set for Horseshoe's swap that got cancelled I tossed the fly I tied for her swap in there for the heck of it.

I'm going to go out on a limb on this swap, since I've been part of many good ones. I honestly believe this swap gives the best cross section of usable flies of any swap I've been in to date, and that's saying a lot. Because I suggested people tie there favorite all the ties are beautifully tied. Even mine aren't bad. With a great mix of flies from a bushy marabou on down to a beautiful little spinner (spent wing) these flies cover the water column and food supply of both lakes and streams nicely. I hope every one else is as happy with this swap as I am, and when I figure in the extras throw in, I have a box full of productivity. Now to just get out and use them.

Okay, so I owe an apology to Henrik. I went back into my tying room and realized I hadn't put the nice printed recipe for his flies in the packages. I'll type most of it for those interested in a beautiful streamer.

Salmon Hook 2-6... Black thread... Furnace hackle fibers for tail... Peacock Herl body... Gold tinsel rib... Wing - 2 Jungle Cock feathers from back of bird... Furnace Hackle in front of wing (heavily hackled).

Fly was invented by Johannes Laursen, Danish fly fisher in River Karup for sea run brown trout.

I think a white badger hackle could be subbed for wings since I have a skin of those, but doubt I'd ever get wings as nice as Henrik does his.

Thank you for writing it in her instead. :-)

Made these prints as a reply to the thread on good/bad swap experiences...

Think a beautiful pattern which is seen as a Danish Classic, would be best presented with the little story. ;-)

Thanks for hosting, looking forward to see all the flies.

Henrik

yep i did Bronc, and I put a bunch of old hooks I had around that I'll probably never use. Not great hooks and older style with longer point and barb than modern hooks but something for you to play with. You've got a great package coming. Be like Christmas, and why haven't you signed up for the Santa Swap yet?

Henrik, your fly is going to go into the special wood box on my mantle for display. Beautiful work. Being SM I was able to sneak yours as the extra one and will put one on display and one in my bass box (or trout/steels if I ever get to fish them again).

Dcap240, I hate to single flies out since this was such a great set overall but your little spinner is a work of art and should fill a spot when size 20 spinners are hitting the water.

A great looking box of flies showed up today. Thanks everyone and a big thanks to Vicrider for hosting.

yep i did Bronc, and I put a bunch of old hooks I had around that I'll probably never use. Not great hooks and older style with longer point and barb than modern hooks but something for you to play with. You've got a great package coming. Be like Christmas, and why haven't you signed up for the Santa Swap yet?

Wow thanks Nic! Once again going above and beyond! With hunting season starting last Saturday I've been in the woods more than at the vice! In fact, I'm getting ready to leave at the moment. Hopefully bring home some yummy blackstrap, and bucktail, belly hair, and back hair for tying.

Got my flies today. All I can say is WOW!!!

I hate to do this but is there any chance you guys would be willing to post the recipe for the flies you tied.

Thank you Vicrider for hosting the swap.

Recipe for the fly I tied:

Pryramid Lake Tadpole

Hook: TMC 2499BL-SP
Thread: White-Ultra Thread 140
Tail: White Marabou Fibers
Over body: White 2mm Craft Foam
Underbody: Chartreuse Estaz Chenille (or similar product)

Note: After tying, coat the foam with epoxy glue mixed with glittter.

I got my flies today guys and I really like them.

Stealth Bomber

Gamagatsu b10

Bucktail

Grizzly hackle

Craft foam

Chenille

Flashabou

Rubber legs

I don't really know the name so I have just been calling it a parachute caddis.

Hook- dry

Thread- 8/0 to match desired color

Post- pearl Krystal Flash

Body- Superfine March brown or any other color for desired effect

Wing- slip from turkey tail feather coated with Aleene's Fabric Fusion. I have used other things like fixative or clear lacquer but I really like the Fabric Fusion.

Hackle- badger or whatever color to get desired color

for the Tak's Go 2 Caddis:

Materials: Hook: Dai-Riki 060 Size: 14-16

Thread: Black 94 Denier Largartun

Bead: 3/32 for #14, 5/64 for #16

Tail: Brown Hen Hackle Fibers

Body: Chartreuse Diamond Midge Braid

Wing Post: White Poly Yarn

Hackle: Brown Midge Saddle Hackle

Collar: Peacock Ice Dub

Nice set of flies arrived in the mail last night, thanks guys and especially to Vicrider for hosting.

Recipe is real simple, Marabou in colors of choice tied in alternately, hook is your streamer hook of choice.

I've found black/yellow, black/olive and black/purple all to be effective.

Crackleback is simple, as are most of my flies. Build good thread base front to back. Some like a tail here, original does not call for one. Tie in good dry fly hackle, tie in 3-4 peacock herl making sure they're right over top of hook, tie in floss of color choice, wind thread back to eye. Wrap floss to make the body and tie and cut, lift herl and tie off making sure to keep directly over top of hook, palmer hackle to front and tie off. Do not over wrap hackle, 4-5 turns is adequate for most hooks. You want the herl to be nice and visible from both sides giving the two tone and segmented look. It's a good floater in choppy water.

I use Pearsall's Gossmer silk for Red Ass Kelso. Wind tight thread base from eye to start of hook bend, wrap back forward about 1/3 of body length. Tie in some herl, take thread to front, wrap herl to front leaving some room for hackle. Use one of many options to put soft hackle in place. This is a particular fly. Soft hackles can be tied with any body and a plain thread is a classic. Thread with a wire is also popular.

Another option on these is to put a small glass or brass bead on hook. Wind thread behind bead to build up a snug fit when bead is slid back. Superglue thread hump and push bead over the hump to leave a small length of hook between eye and bead. After pushing bead in place, carefully work fingers stuck to superglue loose (or be more careful). Then tie red ass and herl as normal and tie off behind bead and cut behind bead. Start thread in front of bead and put hackle in place. This method helps keep hackle from just laying back on body and adds a bit of weight.

As for hackle, I use Partridge (Grouse), hen, Hungarian Partridge, Starling, depending on what I grab and what recipe calls for. These were tied with Dun colored Hen and bead. When I do Hen I grab tip of feather and pull main body of even length feathers back. I take one side of feather and pull (peel) all the feathers off. I tie in feather by tip, then wind so as the one side of feather is in the laid back position. There are a lot of ways to do soft hackle applications. This is what I usually use. Partridge has less feathers than Hen so depending on what I want in front I don't strip Partridge all the time. Sometimes with small flies I do the same feather prep, leave feathers on both sides, clip tip of feather off, hold both sides of feather on sides of hook the length you want hackle, put a couple of loose loops around hackle and pull tight to spin hackle around hook. This is a good way to do small hooks when working with really small hackle is a pain, or your feathers are just too long for the hook size.