Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

The What's In A Name Swap

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted sooner -- Joseph and Eastern Fly your flies are here--awesome flies both of you, and thanks so much for the extras! I'm waiting on one last set; apparently the flies were sent some time ago but never arrived so they are being re-tied and re-sent. Should be here some time next week. I will update here as soon as I mail out the fly sets.

Thanks for your patience guys -- it will be worth the wait because this set is going to be a great one.

All flies are in! I will get them separated out into sets get them into the mail no later than Friday morning. Thanks to everyone who participated for your hard work! This is a really great set of flies; I think everyone is going to be very happy.

Cheers,

Bryon

YaaaaHoooo can't wait to see how others tie! Thank you for allowing to participate in my very first swap!!!!

Fly sets went into the mail at 9:15 this morning. I have never been more pleased with any swap I've ever participated in. Everyone did just excellent work and will be rewarded with a truly unique selection of flies. As a budding woodworker, I've already decided to build a shadowbox to display my set. smile.png

Thanks again to everyone for participating, and especially for all the nice "extras" that were sent along!

I will be photographing all the flies and will post the photos with their fly recipes asap--probably by Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

The box of feathers arrived today along with a big pile of Santa flies. Maybe this swap was labeled "What's in a name" swap but I think it could also be called "What's in a complete flybox " swap. Very nice assortment. Some of them were a little surprise since I didn't know the fly by name, some I did. The biggest surprise was Goldie Hahn. Beautiful little critter but man it's gotta be tough to tie that with those little wings in there like that.

Great job as usual guys and the host again does his job well.

HOLLY COW!!!! I got mine today too...I am totally blown away on some of the flies...Well let me rephrase that I am totally blown away on all the flies!!! I will be reaching out to some of you fellows if you don't mind to pick your brain on how you tied your fly. Since I shipped mine in a box some of the tags came loose from the flies so I will be posting some pictures of those flies to see who tied what.

I tied the Bitch Creek Nymph...Please chime in and tell me your opinion. Thank you to everyone and a special thanks to Bryon for hosting this swap. I am glad I joined my first swap and I hope to join many more.

A great looking box of flies showed up in the mailbox today. Thanks to everyone and a big thanks to Byron for hosting.

Vicrider, thanks for the compliment. The wings on some of them could have been a little better but I started running low on the tiny dun feathers.

add147, I thought your Bitch Creek was a really nice tie. I don't know enough about the original tie to say much except that I'd probably used a shorter hackle and a softer hackle from a hen neck. Your hackle was almost like a long dry fly hackle. From what I could find on net that seemed to be the major difference in most u-tube ties. The weaving was really nice. I ran across a vid on tying it without the weave, just one color. No where near as nice as yours and needs the 2 color weave to be the Bitch Creek IMO. I guarantee yours will see service in the future health permitting. Should be a good crossover fly for 'gills, crappie and bass. Wouldn't be surprised to see catfish or carp take a try at it. At least I hope.

add147, I thought your Bitch Creek was a really nice tie. I don't know enough about the original tie to say much except that I'd probably used a shorter hackle and a softer hackle from a hen neck. Your hackle was almost like a long dry fly hackle. From what I could find on net that seemed to be the major difference in most u-tube ties. The weaving was really nice. I ran across a vid on tying it without the weave, just one color. No where near as nice as yours and needs the 2 color weave to be the Bitch Creek IMO. I guarantee yours will see service in the future health permitting. Should be a good crossover fly for 'gills, crappie and bass. Wouldn't be surprised to see catfish or carp take a try at it. At least I hope.

Thank you for your response! I greatly appreciate your critique which is in my opinion the only way I will be able to make sure I am indeed improving on my tying skills. As I have stated several times before in the past I just kind of fell into this hobby because I got tired of watching crap on TV. I am by no means a professional all I am is a fellow that is trying to learn as much as I can about this hobby and have some fun with it. I have fished just about all of my life and fly fishing for some reason just seemed interesting to me.

As far as the hackles are concerned those were just some cheap ones I got from EBay. I am still acquiring supplies and still learning what is good stuff and what is crap. Once again thanks for chiming in and I hope you and your family has a Happy Thanksgiving!

add, I probably haven't been back at the bench for much longer than you coming off heavy tackle and bass, walleye and other rough fish occupied my time. Now I'm also learning a lot about hackles. Dry fly hackle is generally stiff and clean and is made to stick up straight and help hold up a dry fly. Soft hackles are more flexible, fuzzy or webby to some extent, and have a lot more movement in flies tied to get wet from the get go. The soft hackle can be one of the simplest flies you can tie but has done better for me in the limited time I've had to actually fish them then any other. Back when I tied a lot of walleye jigs just about any feathers I tied on would do the trick since we usually had some bait on there with it. Now that I'm into the trout and other flies that stand alone I'm finding out that the types of hackle used, not necessarily the most expensive but the right for the job makes a big difference.