Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

Windows 8 Compatability...

When I click on the picture icon to add one, a box appears asking for a URL. No other selection. The pictures I want to add is on the computer and I tried to use a picture storage URL and it didn't work.. The computer then freezes on that block and will not cancel so I have to close out the entire page from the active icon. A different block appears if I try to add a link but it does the same thing. I have updated to Windows 8.1 but no change. I tried by browsing with Explorer and still the same problem. I am fully updated.

Mike. I did contact the dealer and HP and both claim I can't put another operating system on it. Windows 8 or nothing. I can't exchange because my warranty year is up. They did send me a bundle of disk to reinstall like new and it made matters worse. Never again will I get a Hewlett Packard computer. I liked my old Dell.

Bruce. I will install Chrome again. I was being too frugal and suspect I should have bought a better computer. Chrome slows down my computer and it freezes sometime. A pop up also shows where I am using too much CPI (or whatever it is).

Flytier. I too have had the video problem. If I go with Explorer to browse instead of Windows 8 I can't get videos. I was told this is because the software to run them is either outdated or doesn't exist. I think it is an Adobe problem. Might pass that on to your employer.

There is a website where you can update Windows 8 drivers for certain applications. I used it twice. But for some reason the do not provide drivers for many others and there is no plan to do so. My color Epson printer is one of those but my HP printer works. I understand they do not support older printers (4 to 5 years old) because they want you to buy new printers.

JS... I will try Firefox if this attempt with Chrome fails. I used it many years ago on a desktop and liked it then.

Thanks to all.

you cannot add a photo directly from your computer using the cut/copy and paste function directly in the response area

you can add an photo from your computer as an attachment directly into the response area

you need to click on the "more reply options" button in the lower right hand area below the response area.

"Flytier. I too have had the video problem. If I go with Explorer to browse instead of Windows 8 I can't get videos. I was told this is because the software to run them is either outdated or doesn't exist. I think it is an Adobe problem. Might pass that on to your employer."

for National Security reasons my employer does not allow employees to mess around with their PC's. its best to leave well enough alone smile.png

for whatever reason, our security department has decided to no longer use adobe products on their network

I know there was an adobe issue at their end with security which made a few larger users twitchy. I too use Firefox on my machine and find it simple and user friendly.

"Windows 8 sucks ... and it will not work with the Honda Diagnostic Systems for Marine applications."

I think it might be the other way around. the application you refer to may not have been updated to run in the window 8 environment

They tried that. If they "update" it to work with Windows 8 ... it won't work with any other OS.

Since it has to be compatible with any laptop a dealership might use, that's not an option. If they leave it compatible with Windows 7, it will also work with all the previous OSs.

Wife has 8 on her laptop, too. She got it when 8 first came out, and they swore it was better than 7.

She's a penny pincher and won't replace it until she feels she's gotten her money out of it ... but she can hardly wait for that to happen. She hates Windows 8 as much as I do

When I click on the picture icon to add one, a box appears asking for a URL. No other selection. The pictures I want to add is on the computer and I tried to use a picture storage URL and it didn't work.. The computer then freezes on that block and will not cancel so I have to close out the entire page from the active icon. A different block appears if I try to add a link but it does the same thing. I have updated to Windows 8.1 but no change. I tried by browsing with Explorer and still the same problem. I am fully updated.

Mike. I did contact the dealer and HP and both claim I can't put another operating system on it. Windows 8 or nothing. I can't exchange because my warranty year is up. They did send me a bundle of disk to reinstall like new and it made matters worse. Never again will I get a Hewlett Packard computer. I liked my old Dell.

Bruce. I will install Chrome again. I was being too frugal and suspect I should have bought a better computer. Chrome slows down my computer and it freezes sometime. A pop up also shows where I am using too much CPI (or whatever it is).

There is a website where you can update Windows 8 drivers for certain applications. I used it twice. But for some reason the do not provide drivers for many others and there is no plan to do so. My color Epson printer is one of those but my HP printer works. I understand they do not support older printers (4 to 5 years old) because they want you to buy new printers.

JS... I will try Firefox if this attempt with Chrome fails. I used it many years ago on a desktop and liked it then.

Thanks to all.

Hi Ed,

My sympathies, I hate computer problems, especially when Customer Service fails to help.

Flytier has the answer for photos from your computer. You have to click the "More Editing Options" button then use the Attachments button (paper clip icon). NOTE: this did not work in IE for me, but did in Chrome, probably works in Firefox.

My current computer is an HP laptop that I bought during the 2012 Christmas sales, so it wasn't very expensive. It came with Win 8 which was still in early days. Like everyone, I hated it. After trying pretty hard to use the new "Metro" style full screen apps, I learned to just use old style applications that ran in "normal" resizeable windows. I put icons for those programs on the Desktop. After that, I rarely even notice that I'm in Win8. The Win 8.1 upgrade helped with some of the remaining sore spots like Restarting or Power Off.

I run old programs like Photoshop 6 that I've been using since 2000 (not to be confused with the much newer Photoshop CS6) and use an old printer, Epson 2200 purchased in 2002. The Epson driver for Win 8 came from the Epson support website that auto-detected that I have Win 8 64-bit and took me to the correct driver download.

It's very disturbing that HP would sell an underpowered Windows computer a year ago. Any new computer should run standard applications quite quickly. They can't even blame Win8, as it runs better than older Windows on older hardware.

You might try a memory upgrade. RAM is cheap and another 4GB is only $50.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Bruce... I didn't know I could update my memory. I will definitely do it and happy to pay $50.00 to ease my frustration.

I have been using the desktop when possible. I built and ran a website for over 15 years and I am not very computer literate. Actually, it is because I've developed a lack of patience. Thanks so much. Ed.

Just check the limit of RAM your motherboard takes. Some processors only work to a max limit. RAM over this is not worth adding.

Bruce... I didn't know I could update my memory. I will definitely do it and happy to pay $50.00 to ease my frustration.

I have been using the desktop when possible. I built and ran a website for over 15 years and I am not very computer literate. Actually, it is because I've developed a lack of patience. Thanks so much. Ed.

Which HP computer model do you have?

How much RAM?

You can find out using the PC Info app in Win8.

Here's a site that can tell you which RAM you need and how much you can add:

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/upgrades?ktc_campaign=US_Branded&gclid=CjwKEAjwheqgBRD5vOfR45az5AESJABy4m8-4okpuzQVKH_QCDvCSMEfcFDND3YY7B2MA4TFPW0LgxoCJkjw_wcB

It is all Greek to me, but here is the info...

Windows 8.1.

Computer is an HP A6 Vision.

Ram is 4.00 GB (3.47 usable).

AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7GHz.

64 bit operating system, X64 processor.

I gave the name of the computer as Dumbass. I think I am more suited for the name though.

Actually, that computer should run pretty well for most common tasks. I'm not real familiar with the AMD A6, but it might bog down with lots of open windows. Memory cannot hurt, though.

Is that an HP Pavilion laptop?

something like a Pavilion g7-2243sf Notebook?

With that info, you should be able to find out what memory you can upgrade.

HP support should definitely be able to help you determine what type of memory you need.

Not sure what a Pavilion is but it isn't marked on my laptop. I do run a lot of open windows but did not know it made a difference. I have not kept up with the cyber world in 10 to 15 years. I will look into more memory. Thanks.

Not sure what a Pavilion is but it isn't marked on my laptop. I do run a lot of open windows but did not know it made a difference. I have not kept up with the cyber world in 10 to 15 years. I will look into more memory. Thanks.

Open windows use up resources including RAM and CPU, so closing windows can help a slow computer.

There may be other hidden resource hogs running on your laptop including the so called "crapware" installed by HP and most other PC vendors. It's beyond my capabilities to offer any guidance on removing crapware or finding hidden resource hogs. HP CS should be able to help, but they're probably constrained to leave all their standard installation intact.

Pavilion is an HP laptop brand, but they are very confusing with their internal product naming vs name on box/ad. The name can help when you look up your product specs, but HP Customer Support will help identify your exact model and RAM options. Just don't buy the RAM from them.

Is this your laptop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03589339&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

Different product and processor but it is a Pavillion g6 Notebook. I am seeking support at Kingston. The only model number on my computer is "g6" but there are many different model sub-numbers that I can't find on my computer. I need to contact them to upgrade. I would simply remove everything from this computer and put XP on it but am told by HP that it can't be done. I really liked XP. I do not like to change things for the worse. All computers at Best Buy had Windows 8 and they also told me I couldn't change to XP.

arent you going a little extreme regarding your initial question?

I do not know if it is just me but I can't copy, paste, or post pictures or links on this site