Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ihang10

IFFF Skills tying award

My skills are at that level ...

I'd be allowed to peek around the corner at the block where the building is that they hold the competition in.

As a long time IFFF member, and a member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group, I think it's all a bunch of hooey. All we need is a bunch of self appointed fly tying police running around telling us the "correct" way of doing things, and passing judgment on who can and who can't tie flies.

I see no value in it, except to their own egos, which, in some cases, are already too bloated.

LOL...I know I am not in that level of tying yet! I think this ole red neck would not meet their standards but I would like to watch some of them tying stuff.

We look at the program different than some of you might. No problem. It's not intended for everyone and not ment to tell you how to tie flies. The program was adopted from a similar program in the UK developed by the Fly Dresser's Guild. It is ment for those people who are interested in identifying their skill level and comparing it to other fly tiers. Whether you check the program out or not, have fun at the vise. AND winter is here and a darned good time to do so while restocking fly tying boxes. Take care & ...

The FFF (what is this IFFF stuff? how the heck do they justify the "I"?) has been trying to implement something like this for years. It is up there with past attempts to mirror the certified casting instructor program with fly tying instructors (yeesh). If you use the program as a goal to be reached as you hone your skills, that may be a useful approach. If you expect anyone other than the FFF to acknowledge the importance of the "award", you might be a bit disappointed.

We look at the program different than some of you might. No problem. It's not intended for everyone and not ment to tell you how to tie flies. The program was adopted from a similar program in the UK developed by the Fly Dresser's Guild. It is ment for those people who are interested in identifying their skill level and comparing it to other fly tiers. Whether you check the program out or not, have fun at the vise. AND winter is here and a darned good time to do so while restocking fly tying boxes. Take care & ...

As a long time IFFF member, and a member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group, I think it's all a bunch of hooey. All we need is a bunch of self appointed fly tying police running around telling us the "correct" way of doing things, and passing judgment on who can and who can't tie flies.

I see no value in it, except to their own egos, which, in some cases, are already too bloated.

PHG nailed it on the head here. There is no "correct" way to tie a fly... As long as it looks good when you put that final wrap on it, and as long as fish eat it. THE END...

Al, How is one to compare skill level to skill level if there isn't a set of "rules." Are there rules? These groups would hate my flies and techniques! I guess I'll just have to go find some stupid fish to drown my sorrows...

I really see no problem with a tying ”skills” program. Rather than non specific bashing of the program, I would like to hear specific areas of disagreement. That would be more enlightening for me,

If you actually READ what is written, the goals of the program are “to promote and encourage the ART of fly tying …. The Fly Tying Group is dedicated to the preservation, enhancement and support of the art of fly tying."

In my view these are laudable goals. Are there any here who disagree with the goals? If so, what specifically is the disagreement?

Perhaps it is the methodology which is, "a structured learning plan with progressive goals ..... (to) assist Clubs and instructors in the planning and delivering of fly tying courses.... Participation is entirely voluntary. No IFFF member or Club is under any obligation to take part."

What I have read is comparable to the merit badge system of the Boy Scouts, or accreditation programs that are available in many trades.

I am not a part of the program in any way or fashion but I see nothing that forces a style of tying on any person. Many occupations have a "best practices" methodology in which a group of expert decide the best way to perform a task. There are many ways of performing various jobs, but when jobs are mission critical such as maintaining a passenger jet, the mechanics are told the best way to do it. There is a "best practice" method of performing a repair.

Similarly, there are the best ways to perform tasks in fly tying. When there are several ways of doing a task, is there a problem with teaching the concensus "best" method?

Fly tying is an "art" and not a science so we do not want to stifle innovation or invention. However, I see nothing but positives for this program. No one is forced to use it; and for those that want a more structured way of learning or teaching, it is a resource the they can consult. They can choose for themselves whether to incorporate all, some, or none of programs into their personal tying or instruction. What is wrong with that?

To trash talk it before all the levels of training are developed seem to me to be premature. Should we not at the very minimum wait to see what the final product is?

As long as a program such as this doesn't develop into a hurdle one must jump before a tier is permitted to participate in some tying related enterprise such as a show/conclave or enter a tying contest, this isn't something I am going to worry a great deal about. The Pheasant Tail, Partridge and Orange, Woolly Bugger, and GRHE nymph patterns in the Bronze Award grouping can all certainly be used for warmwater fishing, but there is a great deal less standardization in the tying of many of what are considered flies intended for warmwater fly fishing. I wonder whether one of the other awards is going to require tying such flies as realistics.

Hi Stippled Popper,

No realistic flies in the plans for any of the awards levels. The only flies I've seen suggested for the next two levels are fishing flies like the Parachute Adams, Deceiver or hair-wing Blue Charm. Take care & ...

Hi Stippled Popper,

No realistic flies in the plans for any of the awards levels. The only flies I've seen suggested for the next two levels are fishing flies like the Parachute Adams, Deceiver or hair-wing Blue Charm. Take care & ...

Thanks for the reply.

I am pleased to see the Deceiver mentioned. It would seem appropriate to me that for a Gold award a tier should be able to tie from the gamut of the fly tying world. I'd expect the number of such tiers to be fairly small or the interest at least limited.

The vast majority of those who post at the tying sites I visit seem to tie flies within a narrow range of application. I'd offer myself as an extreme example of that pattern.

Hi Stippled Popper,

Most fly tiers tie for their own fishing and sometimes for a few friends. Often that equates to a narrow focus based on area waters we have time to fish based on our busy lives. We tend to be the same often fishing in waters close to home because they are convenient.

We do end up trying a lot of new flies because people often send us patterns to test or customers request flies that look like they have a lot of potential. Case-in-point was a recent order for flies that required the use of dust mop segments for the body. The flies were so fast and easy to tie we ended up replacing some of our favorite patterns with flies tied with the dust mop segments. EX: The Dusty Zonker is now our go-to streamer pattern for waters near our cabin in central Idaho. Watch Fly Tyer magazine for an in depth look at this interesting material in a future issue.

Anyway, somehow I've gotten off topic. Sorry. Back to the IFFF Awards program: It's only for those people interested measuring their fly tying skills. It's definitely not for everyone and was never intended to be. Take care & ...

Al,

I think I'm going to give this thing a shot. I sent in a form and check for disabled veteran membership for IFFF this morning and contacted the at large evaluator that lives in NH by email last night.

Where can I get the Canada goose wing/herl? I'm not familiar with this material the only goose materials I've seen are biots and shoulder.

-Will

Hi Will,

The fibers from just about any wing quill works just fine. When Gretchen & I tied the flies in the video we used gray fibers from an "unknown bird" probably a domestic goose but we weren't sure. You really need the length of the goose wing fibers for larger flies like the size we tied on the video. We often use gray chicken wing feather fibers or shoulder feather fibers for the bodies on smaller Gray Goose patterns. Let me know if you can't find goose wing quills in you area; I'll send you a short section to tie your flies with. My email address is [email protected]. Take care & ...