Fly Tying
Piker20

DECEMBER FLY from the bench

QUILLMIDGEOL1_zpsd54cbc65.jpg

OLIVE QUILL MIDGE – Ritt/Variant – TMC 103BL, #19 – #21…

I like the profile on that one, and the hook gap looks great for that size hook! Need to get some in that size

QUILLMIDGEOL1_zpsd54cbc65.jpg

OLIVE QUILL MIDGE – Ritt/Variant – TMC 103BL, #19 – #21…

I like the profile on that one, and the hook gap looks great for that size hook! Need to get some in that size

Might want to look at this one too. It should be generally available from Tiemco after the first of the year and is a heavier version of the 103BL, sized #8 - #18...

TMC113BLHHOOK_zpsd7055c5a.jpg

PT/TB

2014.12.13.dryfly.me_.green_highlander_d

A couple of Green Highlanders on Kamasan B280 #4, looking forward to swing these in the river!

Are there rules or guidelines as to when the GP crest feathers are aligned and when they're offset like that? I think the parts i'm asking about are the topping and tail topping (i might be wrong on the names).

Thirstea, the 'rules' would state that the tail and topping tips meet at the back and the point of the wing generally extends to almost touching these. When tying flies for fishing it really doesn't matter and you can use some of the feathers that are maybe not suitable for frame flies.

Thirstea, the 'rules' would state that the tail and topping tips meet at the back and the point of the wing generally extends to almost touching these. When tying flies for fishing it really doesn't matter and you can use some of the feathers that are maybe not suitable for frame flies.

Gotcha! The big word that i didn't pick up on was that he's swinging it. So the rule/guideline is, if it's being framed, then it matters.. if it's being fished, eh.. not so much, so use the lower grade/shorter/not perfectly arched ones.

Yep, swinging is referring to swinging it across the stream with the fly leading the fly line from far bank to your bank and then you let it dangle in the current before making another cast, often fishing using spey casts but you can retrieve line after the dangle and use WF or shooting head lines.

The arch in the golden pheasant can be set using a damp feather and a curved surface like a bottle. When dry it holds that curve. Again, for fishing not such a big deal.

Vicrider introduced me to a new pattern with his streamer swap flies so I tried a couple with various chenille lying about. I prefer the big eyes and longer chenille trimmed at the sides but guess they'll all work.

ciprominnow021_zps5bc5865e.jpgciprominnow020_zps4d8cfc2a.jpgciprominnow024_zps4046b0a2.jpgciprominnow022_zps27b5375f.jpgciprominnow027_zps3d22b04b.jpgciprominnow025_zps1fffd9da.jpg

That fly is called the Cypert Minnow, http://www.texasriverbum.com/tying-the-super-cypret-minnow, and was first designed by a former member of the flyfishing and flytying club I belong to here in Waco, Charlie Cypert.

For classics if you want to learn "The Rules", go to the Classic Salmon Fly boards through the link in the main menu. There are some of the best tyers in the world there, Dave Carne from England, along with many from America, Scandinavia, and Europe. Davie McPhail used to be here all of the time, but now, he has all he can handle with work in Scotland, Europe, and all of his postings on youtube.

Ray.