Fly Tying
Kentuckysteve

Orvis Fly Tying Contest

"...Eligibility: Open and offered only to legal residents of the 50 United States and District of Columbia who have reached the age of majority in their states as of the start of the Promotion Period. Employees and directors of The Orvis Company, Inc. (“Sponsor”), and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, advertising, promotion or production agencies, and their immediate family members or individuals residing in their same household (whether related or not), are not eligible to participate or win a prize. By participating in this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which shall be final..."

Guest Tony P

Also, looks like the editor has clarified that you do earn royalties:

Phil Monahan

January 14, 2015 at 9:50 am

"Of course the winner gets the royalty payments from sales of their fly pattern. But trust me: it’s not enough to let you quit your day job."

Very few people can quit their day job off fly royalties with exception of maybe John Barr & the Copper John which probably out sells the combined sales of all other nymphs + John also has several other great patterns that are in production. I see no need for a contest when you can go to most fly manufactures websites & find out about their royalty programs & submit flies to them year round unless they are having problems getting submissions. Just my $.02.

Why put down a contest that cost nothing to enter. It's not like you're losing anything if you don't win. And just like the lottery ... you CAN'T win if you don't enter.

Ego stroking is all I would want, I don't know about the rest of you guys. smile.png

Yeah ... I could use some stroking.

I think I'd rather win second place for the vise but it would be cool to see something you tied in the orvis catalog.

It strikes me as rather silly to offer the vice as second prize. They have restricted themselves to only getting one usable fly out of the exercise, by making first prize having your fly in the catalogue. Just seems daft to me. Offer three prizes and and all the entrants a chance of being in the catalogue. If you are going to do something, do it in such a way as to get the most out of it.

Cheers,

C.

It strikes me as rather silly to offer the vice as second prize. They have restricted themselves to only getting one usable fly out of the exercise, by making first prize having your fly in the catalogue. Just seems daft to me. Offer three prizes and and all the entrants a chance of being in the catalogue. If you are going to do something, do it in such a way as to get the most out of it.

Cheers,

C.

True I bet the vise is going to cost them more than the royalties of just one fly.

I must admit I am talking with another company, who have a large catalogue of flies, about them producing some of my patterns. I am pleasantly surprised at how much the royalties are. Much more than I expected.

Cheers,

C.

The only one of those pattern that looked "new" or "innovative" is the sand crab (Pattern number 2). And it doesn't exactly look like an easy, production fly.

Oh well ... the old looking flies still rule the roost.