Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WVUontheFLY

First Attempt at Hangtimes

I decided to try my luck at tying the famous hangtime to see how I might do tying some hollow buck tail flies. I feel like they are a little too large in profile but I figure they will still fish for some musky and bass. Also I only have the purple grizzly hackle for now so I had to think of some color combos that would work together. Any critiques and suggestions are welcome.

post-54693-0-56224200-1421849559_thumb.jpg

post-54693-0-25619500-1421849583_thumb.jpg

post-54693-0-17697200-1421849599_thumb.jpg

You are right, they are a bit bulky but I still like them. I actually like the first one the best. The one without the fish skull. Looks like something happened to turn them opaque or it's just the photograph. Try coating them with some UV resin or some Sally Hansens to see if that will restore the translucency.

It was the adhesive I used. Super glue will turn them that way. I keep wanting to get some uv but then my cheapskateness kicks in. To reduce the bulk would i just need to make more wraps in front of the each reverse tie, use less hair or both? I only used about 3/4 a pencil diameter on each layer for these two

Those are SWEET !!!
I am sure they'll live up to the name, and hang in the water column for a long time. Nice "dead stick" fly, sure to get attacked by any predator in the area.

I plan on fishing these for musky, northern pike, tiger musky, largemouth, smallmouth, and stripers on some of the local streams and rivers near me. If any other fish decide to take a bite I sure won't mind haha.

The tigers aren't really that plentiful, but there are a few locations that have been stocked within WV so I can try and go after them, same thing goes with pike. But bass are every where I may go so hopefully I will get some nice bonus bass when fishing for the toothy beasties

Nice work...I just started tying hang times about a week ago for bass and musky. I am too cheap to buy UV glue, as well. I think I may like it here ;)