Fly Tying
fshng84

Micro Fly Rod

It would be a blast to get a large bluegill or small bass on that rod! Nice job in the build.

Now.....this one is really micro! There was a lodge in CO that would loan one of the rods to a guest. If you landed a trout over 16 inches on it, you got your name on a plaque in the lobby.

http://jaustinforbes.com/micro.html

Rain today,... made a two-piece Micro Fly Rod from a broken flyrod! Post. Looks good with the other two rods. Now just gotta test it out!

Tested the two piece micro fly rod yesterday; went well.... Yesterday's Video.

Tested the two-piece Micro Fly Rod with good results yesterday! Post. Worked well in combination with the Foam Grasshopper!

I just purchased a Shakespeare "Micro Series" rod. It's 7' 2 piece and marked for 4/5 wt lines. Delivered today, so haven't as yet had a chance to try it out.

Seems like a nice rod, composite blank, but also very light. I'm going to put either a small Cortland Rimfly reel or an Albright GPR 3 wt reel on it, and have a Cortland Fairplay 4 wt line for it. This keeping it all low budget, as I intend to use it for panfishing.

The rods are listed on the Shakespeare website at $19.99 retail, which is what I paid for it. With shipping it was about $26-$27. So, I'll have less than $50 invested for the outfit.

I already have a couple of 3 & 4 wt rods, but they're all longer than this one. I'm looking forward to giving it a try! If it turns out to be a gem, I may have to get a couple more as starter rods for my two grandsons. wink.png

Last night I started getting my bargain rod rigged up. I had an Air Cel floating DT line in 4 wt, so put it on an Albright GPR 3 wt reel. I don't know how much backing I put on it as I spooled the reel backwards first to fill it then reversed the line. I doubt I'll ever see the backing again so doesn't matter, it's enough.

Anyway, took the rod out in the yard this morning to test cast it. I tied a new leader for it, very basic 9', 3 sections 20lb, 10 lb & 6 lb test Yozuri Hybrid and tied a piece of yarn to the tippet. Surprisingly, I was easily tossing the line 40' to 50' & the leader & my yarn "fly" was laying out almost perfectly so I was netting 50' to 60'. For a cheap rod, it cast real nice. I don't know how much life I'll get out of it, but for the panfishing I intend to do with it, I'm quite pleased. smile.png

Fun time this evening catching Bluegill, Sunfish, and Bass on the Micro Fly Rod. Started with a Foam Grasshopper but then switched to a Tenkara Fly. No Bruisers save for a run on some nice size Bluegill that were making a nice bend in the little fly rod. Sure glad to have made use of that broken 8-Wt to make this rod. Fun stuff! Yesterday's Video.

Did some fishing with the Wine Cork Micro Fly Rod while working on u/w video action shots of the fish in a couple of ponds. Caught a number of Bluegill/Sunfish with a Tenkara Fly. No action shots of fish taken our bait but did get a lot fish activity plus turtle activity! Video.

Caught a couple of fish this evening on a quick trip to a local pond! Went with the Two Piece Micro Fly Rod and a PMC Emerger Variant to catch a Sunfish and some other fish that we are not sure about... still counts! Post.

I just purchased a Shakespeare "Micro Series" rod. It's 7' 2 piece and marked for 4/5 wt lines. Delivered today, so haven't as yet had a chance to try it out.

Seems like a nice rod, composite blank, but also very light. I'm going to put either a small Cortland Rimfly reel or an Albright GPR 3 wt reel on it, and have a Cortland Fairplay 4 wt line for it. This keeping it all low budget, as I intend to use it for panfishing.

The rods are listed on the Shakespeare website at $19.99 retail, which is what I paid wink.png

I have one of their cheap 8 wts it cats fine the only issue I had with it is the chrome coating on the eyes wore off very quickly and they are not nearly as slick so it doesn't cat as far.

Able to get out today as well as pull in some clips from this past week. More Golden Shiners on a Rainbow Midge using the Micro Fly Rod! Post.

Able to save the day catching two Sunfish on the two piece Micro Fly Rod. Post. Great rod to have sitting in the car!