Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Shovel

Gobies

I know that in many rivers and lakes gobies have become a nuisance, but bass love them, does anyone have a goby fly, or can I be directed to a site with a goby fly

check out the plastic gobies on the market. poorboy baits makes a good one. rich mc

He's looking for a fly. This is a FLY tying forum. Soft plastic baits are irrelevant here mister! That kinda talk oughta get you 100 warning points! :P jk of course. To the OP, I would think any sculpin pattern would imitate gobies too. If all else fails try wooly buggers and muddler minnows in the appropriate sizes and colors to match your local gobies :D

Thanks for the advice. Rich mc, like fisherboy said, fly tying forum, but I do fish with a spinning rod sometimes, thank you for your input.

They both are bottom hugging fish. But they "posture" is quite different. Sculpins are "head down" ambush predators ... trying to blend in with the bottom.

Gobies are more active ... hunting smaller prey. They are heads up, eyes swiveling, alert hunters.

Sculpin heads work well for that pattern. Goby patterns would, I suspect, have more of a weighted tail, to allow the heads up posture.

Guest rich mc

what I meant was to look at the plastic gobies then try to match it. there are some gobie patterns that use a wool head and large eyes rich mc