Fly Tying
hexfli

Warmwater Species

What warmwater fish is your favorite to cast flies too?  

931 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I fish for bluegill, I often hook bass.

I fish for bass, I don't catch bluegill.

Bluegill it is.

I voted for musky as well since they are the ever elusive fish of 10,000 casts. I caught one on the fly abour 2 years ago and started pursuing them again and just last month caught my 2nd. After much trial and error I have put together my set up to fish the smaller feeder streams I typically hunt. I am working to put together a larger set up to hunt for the big boys of some other local waterways that hold the 40"+ range of fish.

On a side note, when I have travelled down to Florida on vacation and fished the canals in southern Florida snakeheads were incredibily fun to catch as well as all the other invasive species. You cast a fly there, you never quite know what you will bring up.

I will have to say peacock bass or payara, by far the most aggressive and stronger fish I have ever caught pound for pound. And that includes all the fish in the list...

I voted for bluegill. They are stocked in the city ponds and willing to take a fly. Plus the fight on a 3 weight is a blast. But a very close second are the smallies in the local rivers and streams.

Well its been along time since I've visted the site, had a busy year of fishing but my fav if i have to pick would be channel cats. Up here in Manitoba on the Red they average between 34 to 38 inches which I'm guessing would e 20 plus lbs range. There are cats that also go over 40 inches here. You battle one of these big boys and you have to take a break after to rest your aching arms. Man that wa a tought call because we got big Carp here Freshwater Drum, Big Buffalo alot of different species to test you......Pineriver

You can catch cats on the fly rod?!

Well its been along time since I've visted the site, had a busy year of fishing but my fav if i have to pick would be channel cats. Up here in Manitoba on the Red they average between 34 to 38 inches which I'm guessing would e 20 plus lbs range. There are cats that also go over 40 inches here. You battle one of these big boys and you have to take a break after to rest your aching arms. Man that wa a tought call because we got big Carp here Freshwater Drum, Big Buffalo alot of different species to test you......Pineriver

You can catch cats on the fly rod?!

Yep ....

St. Johns River 8-17-13 1.JPG

St. Johns River-Lemon Bluff 04 site.jpg

St. Johns River-Lemon Bluff 10-12 2.JPG

Took me a few tries, but I finally found my largest catfish on video ... from the St. Johns River.

Forward to 7:45 to watch the catch ...

The thing I find amazing about that video is that at your age you can still sit cross legged.

If I did that Id have roll on my side like a turtle to stand back up and it would hurt.

LOL ... I've heard such comments before, Mike. I actually sit cross legged more than any other way. Even in the kitchen chair, I'm apt to pull my legs up on the seat, rather than hang 'em.

Dflanagan ... When it jumped, I got an idea of it's size, but I didn't see what it was. I was surprised the first time I actually saw what it was. And yes, it was a blast.