Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

sculpinmaster,

What type of feather is that for the hackle? The long gray in color one. Your fly looks great indeed!!!!

First fly this month. Going to try these on spring run steelhead.

post-51082-0-77105400-1425420677_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif010.JPGPheasent soft hackle, uv eggyarn, bucktail, size 18

Very nice. Thinking it would be good for steelhead in 10s and 12s.

Hey portlyjoe...What size pom pom did you use on your fly? I ran across some red ones (7mm) 100 pack for 25 cents each. I snatched them up at that price at Hobby Lobby.

I went to a D.R.I.F.T. meeting tonight ... and got to watch and tie with a nice young lady names Meg Gallagher.

She had us do two patterns ... the first was an easy little 16 blood midge. Again, getting used to my camera, I couldn't get a better image than this.

She explained that she did that one, because the second fly (the one she was there to demo) was a more complicated fly.

She provided the materials, and walked us through the tying of a size 14 stimulator.

I liked her instruction, and was able to tie my first stimulator. I think I've discovered a fly I just might buy some hackle to tie.

Hey portlyjoe...What size pom pom did you use on your fly? I ran across some red ones (7mm) 100 pack for 25 cents each. I snatched them up at that price at Hobby Lobby.

VJC,

Its not a store bought pom pom, I tied uv globug yarn ( like i was making an egg). and cut it really tight to the hook. It measures 3 mm ( just checked). the hackle is from a pheasent I shot last year, and the tail is an electric blue bucktail.

I went to a D.R.I.F.T. meeting tonight ... and got to watch and tie with a nice young lady names Meg Gallagher.

She had us do two patterns ... the first was an easy little 16 blood midge. Again, getting used to my camera, I couldn't get a better image than this.

attachicon.gifMeg Gallagher - blood midge.JPG

She explained that she did that one, because the second fly (the one she was there to demo) was a more complicated fly.

She provided the materials, and walked us through the tying of a size 14 stimulator.

attachicon.gifMeg Gallagher - stimulator.JPG

I liked her instruction, and was able to tie my first stimulator. I think I've discovered a fly I just might buy some hackle to tie.

Very Cool Mike, I wish we had a fly club local that did those kind of meetings.

I do too, Joe. I am lucky that I got invited to these while I am on the road for business. Nothing like this close to me in Florida.

portlyjoe,

I see...Guess I should have read more closely on the post. Thanks for the clarification! Oh well now I got 4 packages of small red pom poms to add to my largely growing stash of tying material. There's a Hobby Lobby right down the street from my work so I stop in there some to check out the clearance rack.