Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Opossum vs Hare's Ear Dubbing?

I was planning on tying a Bird's Nest fly. I saw I don't have Opossum dubbing in olive, so I've been wondering how different that dubbing is from Hare's Ear?

Thanks,

Randy

I think a bird nest uses Australian opposum fur. It is fine and Hare's ear is coarse. I don't think hares ear would be a good substitute.

Opossum on top, hare's ear on bottom

ap.jpg

IMGP1665.jpg

Charlie Craven used super fine tan dubbing in his step by step. Any tan dubbing will do, even shredded yarn. If it looks a little too spikey, simply clip off the offending guard hairs.

If hare's ear is what you have, use hare's ear.

Next time you pick up supplies, look for some 'possum.

Shot a 'possom last night. Thought it was the one disturbing the suet block feeders - but I knew better, damned racoons. It's been 'on ice' today. Wonder if I should bother with getting some 'fur'?

BCT

Shot a 'possom last night. Thought it was the one disturbing the suet block feeders - but I knew better, damned racoons. It's been 'on ice' today. Wonder if I should bother with getting some 'fur'?

BCT

Try it and see! I clubbed a skunk to death the other night when I caught it cruisin for a bruisin around my gamecocks. I like how the skunk hair is half white and half black on the tail. Gonna use it to tie up some baitfish or clousers.

Opossum & Badger fur both might make a good substitute for the Aussie Opossum for a Birds Nest if you remove most of the guard hairs. They do dye quite easily.

Kuckledragger, I like skunk for tying things like small hair jigs for stream Smallmouth's & the white makes a decent sub for Polar Bear, although it really doesn't have the same translucent property's as PB. Not sure I would want to be clubbing one however, simply because of the pungent odor that may be involved! sad.png

I prefer to buy the tanned hides. smile.png

Opossum & Badger fur both might make a good substitute for the Aussie Opossum for a Birds Nest if you remove most of the guard hairs. They do dye quite easily.

Kuckledragger, I like skunk for tying things like small hair jigs for stream Smallmouth's & the white makes a decent sub for Polar Bear, although it really doesn't have the same translucent property's as PB. Not sure I would want to be clubbing one however, simply because of the pungent odor that may be involved! :(

I prefer to buy the tanned hides. :)

Well it wasn't my first choice of dispatch methods. We surprised each other but I beat him to the draw and cracked him across the head with a maddock handle. I was surprised at how soft the hair was.

Many years ago I was bow hunting for deer in the early fall & a skunk and I walked up on each other at the edge of a field. I could see the tall grass moving as it neared and was surprised to see it was a skunk. Needless to say, the skunk just looked at me & I at him (or her) and after a few seconds of staring we each went our separate ways. I've encountered them many times since, but never had an issue with one. But, then I never gave them any reason to have an issue with me either. rolleyes.gif

Yep, it's a nice soft hair. I'm sure a lot of folks don't realize how soft & what potential it has for tying purposes. wink.png

As a beginner I haven't tried possum dubbing, but I must get around to it as indeed I live in the land of the Australian possum. We call them possums (not o') and like your opossums are mammals but are a very different species. Ours are said to be cuter because they don't have scary teeth. This is what my local store says about possum fur for dubbing:

Possum Fur Patch Natural
Possum is one of the most underrated furs used today and is available in many natural colours from creams, through tans to reddish browns and black. The fur varies from being extremely short (5mm) around the mask to very long (30mm) along the spine. Unlike many furs, Possum has a crinkly structure that enables the tyer to achieve a bulkier looking fly whilst using less material. Its fineness makes it very easy to dub. The creams and tan make good Caddisfly adult imitations whereas the other colours are adaptable to a multitude of patterns. 'ne darker fur is suitable for tying Mudeye imitations.

Australian possum is readily available in the US from a number of suppliers. It's nice fur to use, soft, guard hair not too spiky, relatively inexpensive compared to the arctic fox mentioned above. From a substitution standpoint any hare or rabbit of the correct color is just as good if that is what you have.

Steve