Fly Tying
jd1983

Anyone in the Johnson City area?

So, I don't want to count any chickens before they hatch, but there is an outside chance right now that my family may be moving to the Johnson City, TN area. Anyone from over that way want to tell me what it is like? There is a part of me that is still hung up on Montana after spending a few years there. Deep down I'd love to find a job out that direction but I understand that isn't how life always works. Just wanting to hear the goods and bads of the JC area as we continue in the exploration process. Thanks.

I don't live there but have friends all over the place there. There are a few reservoirs NE of Johnson City but I don't know anything about them or their access. There's a nice big one - Cherokee Reservoir SE of Johnson City (near Morristown) and Douglas Reservoir is larger and very nice (near Sevierville). I think Douglas is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. Norris Reservoir is about 15 miles north of Knoxville, also nice. Don't know anything about the streams there as I only fish in lakes (so far).

Johnson City is very nice and you can't beat the folks from East Tennessee even if Rocky Top is the national anthem. There are many opportunities to fish in the area.

You will not be shy of trout water to fish. Ain't Montana, but it is nice in its own way. Closest tailwater is the South Holston. It is stocked with rainbows, but has natural reproduction of browns. Sign up with the Little River Outfitters forum for reports. Lots of mountain streams too. A taste

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114499#post114499

Oh yeah JD... it occurs to me that we have lots more trees growing by our streams than you're probably used to out west... might want to consider getting a shorter rod.

Not in Johnson City, but fish the area all the time.... Two of the most dynamice tailwaters in the country(SoHo and the Watauga) and offers shots at Smallmouth, Stripers, Brown Rainbows and Brooks. Fishing wise it is a dynamic area

FlaFly - I am actually in Missouri right now and my father just started making and selling bamboo rods. He made me a 7' 3 wt for my birthday. I also have an 8'6" 5 wt he refurbished. I'd like to get up there and have him teach me how to build. Maybe I'll plan an 8' or 7' 6" 5 wt for that.

I also have a slightly shorter than 9' 5 wt and a 9' 7 wt in graphite. Man, I think I'm starting to acquire too many rods.

That's only a handful compared to some of these guys. It's the same as saying you can never have too many flies.

Ah man, my envy gene is kicking in hard. My wife had a job in Grey TN which is between Johnson City and Kingsport. She lived in Kingsport and I moved kids and furnishings down there and had house on market in MN when her company got out by a bigger one and her dep't was eliminated. I visited a lot down there and loved it. I fished a lot with a good old boy in the reservoirs for stripers, smallmouth and largemouth. Fantastic reservoir fishing all around the area. The tailwaters hold plenty of trout both stocked and self sustained but I never did much of that. Sure had planned to tho. Housing prices were reasonable where we shopped and I very much wish I'd have had that chance to retire early and move there.

I'm in western OK now and tho there's always reasons why we end up where we do I'd sure have preferred the Tri-City area of TN. I used to go down to the park in Kingsport and catch smallies, largemouth, and when I really wanted to bend the rod I'd squish some bread on a hook, walk out to the big concrete slab in the park area and hook some giant carp. Sometimes I'd get to release them but mostly they'd spool me and break off the lighter tippet I tied so as no to lose all my line. Had never tried flies for carp but met a guy who said at right time of year you could go by the dam on Boone and catch them on dry flies.

I believe that there are at least 2 or 3 here that live in the area. There is a lot of trout fishing in the area as well as a lot of warm water fishing. I would guess that within 50 miles there are at least a 100 small brookie streams. I don't fish trout myself but I am sure you will find no shortage of fishing in the area. I have not fished the area myself but I would be willing to bet that a short rod would be worth it's weight in gold.

Call eastern fly outfitters. I have ordered from them and had them hook me up with info when I was to be in the area on business

Well, looks like the wife and I will be making a visit to Johnson City in two or three weeks and should know if we'll be moving shortly after that. Excited to see the area.

This time of year is really nice in the Apps... lots of trees and other things blooming.

Any particular direction I should head from JC if I'd like to do a little small stream fishing for brookies?