Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Whip Finish Knot Quality

I've just started to use the 'tool' to produce the whip finish knot. I've always done them 'by hand' in the past. I've tied it 'as the head' of flies on the hook shank and started to tie off onto the post of parachute flies recently (past year).

What I have noticed though is that since I've been using the tool, the quality of the whip knot is really better! I believe it is accounted for by the control that the tool has for wrapping consecutive wraps - although it may certain have other influencing factors also - that contribute to the 'smoothness' of knot. Now please don't judge the one fly I posted for the March FOTM as it isn't the best representative of what I'm speaking of. I believe it has a slight depression in the middle of it's 'head'. But overall I think the quality of the whip knots on most of the flies are am improvement with using the tool.

It just looks like the thread heads that I now end up with on the flies looks much neater than when I did them by hand. Doesn't mean I'll abandon tying it by hand but, when I tie off for a dry fly I'll try the tool first. Need to tie a parachute and try the tool!

Anyone else ever notice this?

BCT

This subject has been addressed many times, and the general consensus I take from each time is: everybody has there own favorite way, and no one else does it right.

I can whip finish:

By hand ... but I really don't like the seeming lack of control, my fingers are too far away from the head of the fly.

With the Matarelli ... this is the tool I started on. I like it most, and I agree that it seems to give me the best control and the best looking whip finishes.

With the Thompsons ... Although I like this tool (I just think it's the "neat") it is a bit difficult to master. I can get really close to small head flies, but I don't tie that many of them.

I started 30+ years ago using the Thompson tool and gave that up after a month.

3 half hitches and I'm done and fishing

mikes first sentence says it all! period!

who really benefits from a pretty fly head? fish or fisherman?

K.I.S.S. principle works for me

I find the reverse. The tool removes the direct contact "feel" with the thread. Feel is important to me its an engineering thing. To an engineer "feel" is like a second pair of eyes.

However, whatever you find best. As you can do both you can choose to do either. That is the important thing. Gives you more options.

Have you tried the whip finish as done in my Generic Parachute video? Trying it has tied a few people's fingers in knots.

Cheers,

C.

Oh I know everyone has their own favorite method. I was just noticing a quality difference - in the layers of the thread making up the head - Mike.

C. - where is the Parachute video on your website? Is it under one of the green 'tabs'; along the left side on the home page? Thanks

BCT

This subject has been addressed many times, and the general consensus I take from each time is: everybody has there own favorite way, and no one else does it right.

this has been my conclusion as well. :) what I've never understood is why anyone cares how someone else does it.

Bryon ... it's a conversation starter. It's also a "wake up call". If the majority of responses point to a method different than what you like, maybe you're doing the favored method incorrectly.

3 half hitches and I'm done and fishing

Really? Do they hold with out head cement?

yes really. try it out sometime

Flytire - I guess I have done it before on parachutes I have finished them off with a few half hitches around the post with my hand, now I typically turn the hook so the eye is pointed down and whip finish around the post with a matarelli whip finisher.

In response to the original topic, I use a Rite Bobbin with the half hitch nozzle on allot of flies it works great for dry flies and most hooks with out beads smaller than size 12. Once there bigger than size 10 or 12 the nozzle doesn't fit over the hook eye so on those and bead heads I use the matarelli. Check out the video on you tube (scan forward to 2:56)

Guys, I know all about how some may prefer one method over the other - I'm not about to state one method is better than the other. I was just trying to see if anyone has noticed what I have - that the knots using the tool has been smoother/neater than the knots done by hand?

I wasn't asking what anyone 'likes' better or prefers to use, but if any of you 'sees' a difference in quality as far as smoothness.

Mike, you mentioned a bit more control, I agree - I seem to experience the same thing.

C - thinks there's a better 'feel ' by tying the whip by hand - ok I certainly can understand that. With thread in hand how can one NOT feel whats going on when wrapping the whip knot? I certainly have 'felt' the thread especially if it gets hung up on my rough fingers while tying it.

Byron - I don't really care how anyone else ties the whip finish knot. Not trying to be mean here - it's just it doesn't matter what anyone ties off with. If it works for 'you' - great!

But by my comment 'quality of the whip knot is really better' - I suppose I should have clarified with regard to how smooth the knot appears after you cut off - I was trying to see if anyone else noticed this.

Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, but I seem to have - apologies all around.

Hi Will, I've been intrigued by the Rite Half Hitch Mag Bobbin, I like the idea. Some years ago I used Rite bobbins exclusively. However I used the smallest ones. However, new techniques I have learned and adopted forced me to go back to the Tempco bobbins. The reason is that I need a bobbin that spins well. The small Rite ones don't. Is the bigger Half Hitch bobbin any better balanced. Will it spin quickly, and not become unbalanced during the spin?

I am in need of more bobbins, and looking to see if I can get more from one than the TMC offer. I have narrowed the choice down to two Either the Rite or the Petitjean. The Rite does appeal as it is less than 1/2 the price of the MP. But will it do? I even went as far as to submit a design alteration to Rite to balance the bobbin, but they were not interested.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig - My personal opinion is that the Half Hitch Mag simply rocks. I agree with you about the small Rite Bobbin, I have one and it is so short it is kinda unwieldy I rarely use it.

As far as spinning I assume you are talking about untwisting/ twisting thread for laying on flat & split thread dubbing.

I do allot of split thread dubbing, as I am sure you know you have to spin the bobbin to get it to lay flat and it takes very little effort to get the half hitch mag spinning and keeps spinning until you stop it, it spins as fast as my Dr. Slicks dubbing twirler. Once I insert my dubbing fibers I spin it backwards and it twists up like a dubbing loop. But to answer your question it's spin is very well balanced. I think it's long barrel and weight keeps its spinning action balanced.

You are a more advanced tier than I am and you have a specific requirement for your bobbins but I highly recommend the Half Hitch Mag and I think that it will suit your purpose.

I made a little video of one spinning, I did it kinda carelessly it can spin under more control than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIs7ndF-Tf8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for that Will, food for thought indeed. The reason I went with the smaller one previously was that I liked the way it nestled in my palm. I also had one standard one, which I found to be worse than the small one. A very bad fit for my hands. I will, at some point, try one of those. (I am surprised it is only available in the Mag size).

Cheers,

C.