Fly Tying
Blackwater Virgil

Bead chain eyes

I once read a scientific paper in which the researchers submerged microphones to record and measure feeding sounds made primarily by benthic crustaceans (it was saltwater). I listened to the tapes, and there is a huge amount of noise in the water, at least shallow water. It's a wonder a fish can distinguish the sound of a fly (except for a gurgler or popper). I never came across any similar recordings in freshwater, but I imagine there is considerable noise. Add to this the sound of water swirling around boulders and snags. If a fish can hear the sound of water rushing past the hole in a bead chain, I'd be amazed.

If a fish can hear the sound of water rushing past the hole in a bead chain, I'd be amazed.

I don't know, Flafly. Considering how sensitive the lateral line might be ... just think of other animal's abilities. A pet dog, for example:

"A dog’s sense of smell is about 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed). A human has about 5 million scent glands, compared to a dog, who has anywhere from 125 million to 300 million (depending on the breed)."

Even our own senses. Ever hear that rattle in your car, or A/C, that no one else can. Everyone else hears all the other noises, but you can hear that "new" one that's not "normal".

It's not hard to imagine that a fish can selectively hear a "new" noise in it's environment ... even one we wouldn't be able to hear in a sound proofed room.

Wow! Once I got caught in a storm... had to spend the night in a small tent with wife, two kids and a wet beagle. As bad as I thought that was, I can't imagine what the beagle thought. ☺

LOL Actually, considering what they do when meeting another dog ... I am going to say the dog didn't mind so much.

I read that they sniff rear ends exactly because the dog's sense of smell is so acute. They do not register "bad smells" ... just smells. Since their sense of smell is so sensitive, they can actually differentiate the "parts" of the aroma, rather than the composite that makes it so offensive to us.

Sorry Mike but I don't agree that dogs don't sense bad smells.......On rare occasions I have passed gas while my lap dog is on my lap and he always gives me 'the look' and then politely gets up and goes to another room. .....Of course he has done the same favor to me and then acts like all is well.

LOL I am sure there are odors that irritate the lining of their nostrils. But that's between you and your dog. Too funny.

What I forgot to put into my last reply was ... if a fish's lateral line is even half as sensitive as a dog's nose ... the vibration of your passing gas could spook them ... since it will be such an unnatural noise.

I suggest it may be a matter of personal taste .... er, smell preference. Otherwise how do you explain why dogs roll in stinky stuff like roadkill, etc. but don't roll in sweet smelling things?

Good question. I just know what I've read. I have no clue what dogs ACTUALLY smell.

That reminds me that as a young pup he would occasionally get loose and make a bee line for the cow pasture and roll in the first fresh cow patty he could find and then come home proud as a peacock. I would immediately take him to the outside spigot and hose him off and them give him a good bath which he hated. It didn't take long and he gave up on the cow patty adventures.

Can't certify anything, but one theory I've heard about why dogs (the bird dogs I've had seem to be the absolute WORST!) roll in stinky roadkill and the like is that it covers up their own scent, and this lets them get closer to prey without being detected as what they are. Seems logical, but in the end ... well, who knows? All I know for SURE is that if you want a dog who'll be at least somewhat less likely to roll in roadkill THOROUGHLY And come back to "share it" with you, and get it all over your clothes (why do they INSIST on rubbing it all over you?), do NOT get a good bird dog!