Fly Tying

Hi, I apologise if this has been asked on here before I done quick search didn't find much. I have been fishing buzzers dries and lures for years and of course even tying my own, but I had never actually fished a zonker, until today that is, but I want to know what is the best way to fish them. I had a few chase it tonight just by stripping it fast but if there's a correct or more affective method id like to know more. Thanks

Zonkers are streamer patterns so, can be fished as you've done, or a bit slower. In moving water they can be dead drifted or on the swing. IMO, none of these are any more correct or necessarily better than another method how you fish them, but often you have to experiment to see what's best at the time & for the situation.

It's a fly form that can imitate a variety of things fish eat, so that may influence how to fish them, but doesn't mean we really know what the fish mistakes them for.

Try some different things & see what the fish respond to best.

I'm guessing you're tying them with rabbit strips? They can of course be tied with other type fur strips as well to give varied appearance, profile & action to them.

I have found that the trout (mostly browns) in the Michigan rivers I fish most often like it when a rabbit-strip fly (such as a Zonker) pauses and "flutters" in the current after 2-3 aggressive strips. Quite often it's on the pause/flutter that a trout seems to appear out of nowhere to crush the fly. In my mind, I'm simulating the action of a little baitfish that is running in terror but is wounded or something and has to pause periodically, but, as tidewaterfly correctly pointed out, we never really have any idea what the fish is "thinking".

Anyway, that retrieve works well for me.

Hi guys thanks for the replies really helped a lot, I was out today and had 3 on zonkers :) Bryson I done what you said and yeah they do like to hit it on the pause lol :)

Tidewater yes I am indeed using rabbit strips, what other ways do you tie them?

Janboy, do a Google search for Rabbit Strip Matuka. Basically the same as a Zonker, just variations with body materials.

My previous comment also meant that other tanned fur strips can be used instead of rabbit. Pine Squirrel is popular. Mink, Squirrel, opossum, raccoon, any tanned fur (garment grade tanning, which will not fall apart in water) cut into strips can result in a wide variety of "Zonker" flies.

Also, basic leech patterns can be tied with these furs, by adding a strip of fur as a tail & wrapping a body of cross cut fur. (or straight cut works).

Here's some various flies I've tied with fur strips: Most are rabbit, some are "bar dyed", the bottom two pics are skunk & raccoon.

100_4939_zps51c938bc.jpg

100_4910_zps4083812c.jpg

100_4907_zps12e0e2ce.jpg

100_4885_zpsa16df9d6.jpg

100_4857_zps7f658d1a.jpg

100_4782_zps3204aa1d.jpg

100_4776_zps573f87c0.jpg

100_4772_zps404c1224.jpg

100_4746_zpsbea68a6d.jpg

100_4744_zpsfdb8ad0b.jpg

100_4790_zps94a3afc6.jpg

100_4788_zpsaa6038cc.jpg

100_4789_zpsc3d119f4.jpg

100_4783_zps46a5e06f.jpg

100_4771_zps2f5486d0.jpg

great looking flies tidewater. if anyone was in need of any inspiration for the Zonker swap, there it is.

I recently learned a new way to fish rabbits. Was fishing on a river not too far below a dam. Above the dam, the lake is loaded with smelt. To replicate the dead smelt that drift through the dam ond down the river, we used a very crude looking zonker pattern which was only a short piece of rabbit and s little bit of etaz to cover the hook. We were dead drifting the fly right on the surface and try to maintain the drift without any swimming action. Kep you rod tip up high and get ready.....the fish would come out of nowhere and smack the fly. Lots of fun. I've never fished a streamer like that.

Ian James ties a fly that he calls the 'Puke Fly'. it is similar to your smelt flies. it is fished on the dead drift as well.

Ian Says:
"Created by Willie McLennan, age 4, in 1993, this is a great fly for bass, carp, drum and redhorse. He noticed when hooked smallies regurgitated food, other fish would scoop it up. His first fly was made from white marabou, but we changed it to rabbit fur for durability. A lot of folk say they invented this, but Willie tied the first one. Larger sizes are good for pike and lake carp."

Hook: 3399 size 6 (range 2 - 6)
Tail: White rabbit (a 'strip' on larger sizes)
Body: Dubbed and well picked out white rabbit
Eyes: A pair of stainless steel beadchain

" ... Willie McLennan, age 4, in 1993 ... "

At 4? He noticed fishing regurgitating and others eating it? He designed a fly? I think someone's got some info wrong.

Based on your recipe ... it's a fly designed to look like the bleached out carcasses ... do you have to have a hooked fish vomiting stomach contents for this pattern to be effective?

Not trying to be mean, Artimus ... just don't quite follow.

i believe that is a direct quote from Ian Collin James' book, "Fumbling With A Flyrod". it has been many years since i read the book, but i do remember that story. if you fish the Great Lakes basin; it is a great go to book on flies, and techniques. he is the guide that gave us the level leader, and was nymphing for carp 15 yrs ago (way ahead of the curve). he has also been a very strong voice on trying to keep a really stupid dam off of our local river (why people want to row and canoe in a toilet bowl; i'll never know :shrug: )

you do not have to have a puking fish for this to work, but i don't think that it would hurt either. to truly know the answer to this question, there is no better person to answer it, other than Ian himself: http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/ask.html . (mike: if you tell him that your a fan of his leader system as well, he might even toss you some flies ((seriously))

basically a fish pukes up its dinner. fish downstream see a easy snack that has already been softened up, it now has dinner. fish on.

it has worked on White and Smallmouth Bass for me.