Fly Tying
IndianaYakFish

Breaking hackle questions...

Was tying up some wooly buggers yesterday and my hackle kept breaking when I tried to wrap it. I'm not using hackle pliers so there wasn't any sharp metal edges to catch it on or anything. I just bought the hackle about a month ago, but not sure how long is sat on the shop's shelf. Could it just be dry? Would letting it sit in water for a while before using it help or something? Any input would be great, thanks in advance!

did u tie it in by the tip or by the butt?

the tip is more fragile than the butt

Hackle will last for decades. I have necks I bought 30 years ago that I can still use. I suspect that you just have not learned the limit of the materials yet. That my friend is what practice is for. Keep working at it and you will learn what thread and hackle strength limits are.

Steve

I have some older Metz necks and with some of them the hackle stem breaks part way through when the feather is wound on the hook. I simply use some well dampened paper towels to soften the stems. Fold the wet paper towel over on the feather and hold for awhile so the stem absorbs some moisture. Should help avoid fracturing the stem.

Describe how the hackle is breaking. Is the stem splitting / splintering as you wind it or a clean break? I've had stripped guills split but they are more tightly wound on a thread base. Pictures might help. I wouldn't rule out anything at this point.

Well first off, is it cheap India hackle? This tends to have thick stems that break.

Or genetic, this tends to have thinner, more pliable stems.