Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyguy613

Rod question

I was considering a setup for steelhead this fall, but a good deal popped up so I am considering getting the rod now

A friend is selling a Hardy uniqua 10' 8wt never been used for $150, I need to know would this rod be great for steelhead, salmon and hopefully fall run brown trout?

Will the 10 foot rod be too long to use for pike and bass, other applications?

I fish a 10' rod for SH and the big fall browns. I would prefer a shorter rod if I were going to be pitching streamers all day for pike and bass. If I were buying a multi-purpose rod, I think I would go with a shorter rod. It will be much more comfortable for streamer fishing, and in most cases the extra foot isn't entirely necessary for the nymphing applications. However, $150 the 10 footer isn't exactly breaking the bank, so you may be able to polish a few more pennies and save up for a pike/bass rod.

I like the longer rods for high stick nymphing for steelhead on bigger waters. They are bit more unwieldy fishing around tight, thick cover and are a pure liability if fishing from a boat.

The Hardy is a little heavy for steelhead and fall run browns -- 7wts are the heaviest I use anyway -- and on the light side for pacific salmon.

If the bass or pike you are after run large and heavy cover is an issue I'd stick to 9-10 wts at 9' length at the most. You will need heavier tippets and a strong rod to turn them your way.

Rocco

I agree pretty much right on with what Rocco said above. A 10 rod is a great steelhead and salmon rod. My "go to" steelhead rods are 10" 7wt and 10'8" 7wt. The extra length is great for keeping excess line off the water for indi fishing for streelies, and the extra length also helps put a little more cushion on the lither leaders we use for steelhead.For bass and pike it can be a bit long so a 9ft rod usually feels better when fishing for those species where you are casting streamers all day long.

A good best of both worlds rod is a 9'6" one. I use a 9'6" 8wt for almost all my pike & bass work as well as salmon/lake run browns. Only problem is the 9'6" length is not as easy to find these days as it once was.

Hardy has a great line of rods... The one thing you might want to inquire about is who's going to honor the warranty (if a warranty claim is allowed from a second owner....) since Hardy recently changed hands if I remember correctly. One of the reasons that high end rods fetch such a premium is the warranty that comes with them (and those warranties are why I quit building fly rods for my customers some years ago - I could never match the factory warranty and still make a profit....).

One of the reasons that high end rods fetch such a premium is the warranty that comes with them (and those warranties are why I quit building fly rods for my customers some years ago - I could never match the factory warranty and still make a profit....).

Actually any decent blank manufacture that you use on custom rods these days have warranties that are just as good as any "high end" rod company out there today. I've worked warranty work with probably 75% of the blank manufactures out there and it's not costly to get a new section/blank from the manufacture and rewrap it and get the customer back on the water for the same cost most the big name companies charge these days. Most breaks are usually tip or 2nd section which can be re-wrapped in a very minimal amount of time. So as a builder/business owner I don't look to make much if any profit off that, I consider that part of providing good customer service for my customers which builds a relationship so they come back to me for other new rods when they want/need them. Warranty isn't so much of why the big companies rods fetch so much these days. Branding and advertising are the main reasons. Just like women fall for the name Pandora, UGG and Prada....Advertise Sage, Winston and Orvis enough and guys will follow suit as well.

Warranty costs although factored into big name rods, has very little to do with the high retail prices.Big name rod prices is a topic I could really go on about for hours lol... But I don't want to get off onto a stray path here and go too far from what the original poster was asking so I won;t get too much into that.