Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjsnyder1234

Alec Jackson Covert Nymph hooks?

Well I have read up on these hooks and figured I would give them a try. Was wondering if anyone here has used this hook before and had any input on them?

This is #15 Soft hackle just messing around with this hook right now.

post-52500-0-17444600-1438409482_thumb.jpg

I have bought a few Alec Jackson hooks for display flies, but I agree with flytier, they are "designer" hooks, and way over-priced. I wouldn't even consider using them for fishing flies.

True I like my allen hooks as well but I got a deal on them from eBay. And the idea of them being almost invisible in the water had me intrigued so I pick a couple packs up but you guys are right for the normal price of $8 a pack is a bit over the top for a fishing fly.

Was just seeing if anyone noticed a difference when fishing with these or not.

I doubt you'll see a difference when fishing. Yes they are expensive compared to Allen hooks. Compared to the equivalent Tiemco or Daiichi, not really.

Could you post a picture of just the hook please. Looking at your fly I am intrigued by the shape of it. It looks like a straight shank but the eye seems very low, like there is a bend in the shank about 2 eye widths back from the eye.

That is the shape of hook I would like for spiders for a classic look, if you look at the illustrations in the old books they are tied on comparatively long shank hooks by today's standard. The Partridge spider hook is a short shank, it may be good for fishing but doesn't look at all like the old traditional hooks.

Cheers,
C.

Why would it be less visible in the water and what makes it so special? The hooks you show don't seem much different from anyone else's curved shank nymph hooks.

I have some swimming nymph hooks I'm in the process of tying on right now. Split biot tail, olive biot body of .15 lead on back part. Front bent part has pheasant tail first, then peacock herl, Mallard flank legs, then pheasant pulled over top for wing case. Makes a nice looking swimming nymph pattern.

Thank you Cjsnyder, That makes sense to me now. Fulling mill do a similar shaped hook here.

As for your spider, nowt wrong wi' that, as we would say. That much shank sticking out of the back of the body is how the old illustrations show them.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks I did look up in one of my older books just to see how they where tied. Might give them a shot next time I'm on the river. These hooks are sticky sharp as well.

I used the that hook for some lake soft hackles I tied last year and yes it works...just fine...

HARESICENDAZZLESH-1-_zps6887db29.jpg

HARE’S ICE DUB (Hare’s Ear) DAZZLE BEAD & PARTRIDGE SH …

HOOK: Alec Jackson Phantom Covert Nymph Hook, #11 – #15

THREAD: Tiemco or Veevus 16/0, Brown

RIB: Ultra wire, Copper Brown, SM

ABDOMEN: Hare’s Ice Dub, Hare’s Ear

THORAX: Dazzle Bead Metallic Pheasant Tail, sized to hook

Hackle: Partridge

MatHARESICESH-1-_zpsaeaa2281.jpg

PT/TB