Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Moose mane

I've been thinking of using moose mane as a dry fly tail but was wondering with the hair being as long as it is what do you do with the rest after you cut the tips off for a dry fly tail? Can you use it again for other tails?

i just throw it away. not many patterns call for it anyway. i cant see the point in keeping 1/4 to 3/8 inch of butt fibers

but if your frugal, you can use it for bodies, wingcases, legs etc. grind the butts into your dubbing.

step+10.jpg

what do you use all of the other waste from all the other materials you tie with?

I don't typically keep waste when I cut it off but the moose is at least 4" long and the tail on a size 18 isn't going to use much of it.

It won't flair, like deer body hair. But maybe, if you keep it stacked and get enough of it, you could put it in a brush for sculpin heads, etc.

You could save it for bodies as William suggested. The classic Mosquito pattern uses one light and one dark Moose mane fiber for a segmented effect. But I'd just toss it. You'll end up with more than you can use for bodies anyway.

If your just using it for tails, I'd recommend Moose body hair instead.

Once you have cut the tips off you can't really use the remainder for tails. Imagine a sponge covered in a hard casing, most deer hairs are like that to a greater or lesser extent. Once you have opened the hard casing the water will wick into the spongy inside very quickly.

Here are a couple of flies I used light and dark moose mane on the bodies of. That is about the best use you can put the left overs to.

Spider_zpsb49d4abe.jpg

Nymph_zpsf6d62195.jpg

Moose5_zpsef2a92dc.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Hi jfinn,

I've never seen moose mane used as dry fly tails. I have seen elk mane used, and I've seen it used for extended bodies using that needle method along with dubbing and a bit of glue.

Regards,

Mark

i should nave mentioned moose 'body' hair in my post

i too have never seen or even used moose mane for dry fly tails

i would still use the clipped of butts as i mentioned above

I often use it for dry fly tails. It is easy to tie in. I don't really tie many dries, other than spent-wings, which I always use moose mane on for the tails.