Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Swap Series

OK, next we have Vicrider's Prince Nymph. The tail and wings are really nice. And the head looks good. Vic, what did you use for the body and the hackle? I think this fly turned out really nice.

Thanks, Vicrider

BB

post-747-0-88933400-1452294155_thumb.jpg

Here is DavidR's Black Stonefly Nymph. First, guys, you need to know that this fly was tied on a #18 hook. This entire set looked really nice. The thorax has a distinct increase in size; just like you would want it to. If I could make any suggestion at all, it looks to me as though one tail is more on top of the hook and the other is more on the side. But you know what? I think the trout would gobble this one up.

Thanks, DavidR

BB

post-747-0-39458800-1452294597_thumb.jpg

The next fly is Fishingbobnelson's Caddis Nymph. The first thing that I looked for on this fly was the tail and we pleased to see that it has none, which is correct! Caddis nymphs don't have a tail. The ribbing looks very nice on this fly and the thorax is nice and buggy. Great job, Bob!

Thanks

BB

post-747-0-93082100-1452294944_thumb.jpg

I over-did the trimming and enlarging on Add147's fly so I posted the original as well. Add, you did a very nice job on this fly. The wings and tail are well done. This is just a matter of personal opinion, but for my taste, the bead head could have been a bit smaller and the hackle not quite so stiff so that the wing lies back along the body of the fly a bit more. And the body is very nice. I'm sure the trout will be glad to go after this one.

Thanks, Add147

BB

post-747-0-67492800-1452295211_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-66285700-1452295337_thumb.jpg

The next fly is WetSock's March Brown, tied on a #14 hook. Every fly in this set was nice, but I did notice that the ribbing on some of the flies stood out more than on others. And also, the thorax on some of the flies was fuller than on others. But the fish aren't going to be looking at the set. They are going to be looking at these flies one at a time, and without a doubt, they are going to be chasing this little March Brown. Nice job, Wetsock.

Thanks

BB

post-747-0-48532100-1452295642_thumb.jpg

The next fly is Joseph Russell's entry. This is a distinctive fly with a two-toned shellback and a nicely tapered body with a fat thorax. The proportions all seem to be just right, to me. And the hackle is very soft and fuzzy. It's going to move like crazy in the water.

Very nicely done, Joseph Russell.

Thanks

BB

post-747-0-90263700-1452296541_thumb.jpg

Our next fly is Pica's Hare's Ear Nymph. What I see in this fly is a nice, full tail and a buggy thorax. A few more thread wraps on the head may have tamed the topknot. But again, this fly works, and I'm sure it will catch fish. Thanks, Pica.

BB

post-747-0-55511200-1452296873_thumb.jpg

OK, here's the next to the last fly. I had to take a break while the battery for my camera recharged. That's the reason for the delay if anyone is wondering. This is PJ2's fly. It's a pretty small fly, probably a #16 or maybe a #14. It's a delicate little thing, but it really looks good. The only thing I see is that it appears that the tail way beginning to wrap around the hook shank just a bit. A good pinch wrap will usually solve that kind of problem. The thorax and shellback look really good. It has just the smallest suggestion of a hackle which is just what you want on a fly this small. Great work!

Thanks PJ2.

BB

post-747-0-74061600-1452314544_thumb.jpg

OK, the last fly is mine. A Green Drake Nymph tied, I think, on a #12 hook. It took me while to get the wings short enough. I kept shortening them and then it seemed that they kept on being too long. I finally got them short enough, I think, for the proportions to be right. Let me hear what you guys see with this one. It's hard to critique your own work.

Thanks to all who participated. And thanks to any of you really good tyers out there who can give us some suggestions on how we can improve.

I didn't make it to the Post Office today and I have a meeting in the morning from 8:00 until about 10:00. The first thing on my agenda for in the morning, after the meeting, is to get to the Post Office before they close at Noon. I'll post again to let you know if I was successful or not.

Take care

BB

post-747-0-45414900-1452314941_thumb.jpg

OK, Guys, as promised here's my report on the morning's activities. I did get to the Post Office in time and I did get the flies into the mail. You should begin receiving them shortly.

Now, having said that, I have a few housekeeping details to take care of.

First, PJ2, I think your flies would have looked better after arriving here, and I'm sure the ones you are getting back would look better if you had mailed them in a small box. I, as well as most of the other guys here, like Altoid boxes. A small fly box would work also. It will cost a bit more to mail them in a larger envelope and to pay the postage, but the flies will be much better protected than they are if you just put them in a plastic bag and in a regular envelope. I'm not fussing, but I'm just trying to help you out.

Second, I believe it is a combination of dishonesty and laziness when a postal worker puts a metered mailing postage sticker on an envelope if they know that it is going to be for return postage. It's a matter of laziness because it takes a little more effort to get out the stamps and to figure out which stamps and how many you need to pay the postage for the return envelope. And it's a lot easier to take your money & have a machine print out a label and then stick it on the envelope. But it's also dishonest because that postal worker knows that at the end of that day, that label is no longer valid. It has a date on it and it's only good for that day. After that day, it's no good. If they know that you are going to put that envelope inside another one and mail it, they have just cheated you out of the money that you paid because someone else will have to pay the postage to get that envelope back to you. So, when you go to the post office, don't let a dishonest postal worker cheat you out of your hard-earned money. Make SURE that they put POSTAGE STAMPS on your return envelope!

Third, if you are planning on joining us for the second round of Skill Builder Trout Series, please let me know ASAP. I am going to start contacting the guys on the waiting list Monday evening, so if you want in, I need to know immediately, if not sooner!

Take care

BB

I' m in for soft hackles. Btw That is a great set of Nymphs ! everyone did a fantastic job. I will be proud to own this set. well done guys!! I tied mine on a size 16. I almost went blind. lol. This is a great swap Bream.

I was going to pass on to someone else but I just like soft hackles to fish and tie so I'll hold my spot one more time. Just got some new birds in from a couple of cyber friends so going to look them over for consistent sized soft hackle. I have a couple of great hen skins, woodcock, partridge, starling and pheasant for soft hackle but getting really close in size is the tough part of your consistency swap.