Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

profile plate

a profile plate helps to reduces glare, eyestrain and blocks out the busy background on the tying bench. The plate is also perfect for providing a plain background for photographing your flies.

but they can cost $$$ depending on the vise manufacturer

so here is a cheaper alternative

i bought a typists document holder for $5 + free shipping

profile%20plate%202_zpszllnthfs.jpg

insert a 39 cent piece of your favorite color craft/scrapbooking paper in the holder

profile%20plate%201_zpslpbkymzy.jpg

then place it behind your vise to block out the mess and clutter on your bench and you'll see what youre tying much better

profile%20plate%203_zpsdtlwzk9w.jpg

please note: this is just one way of making a profile plate. there are many more clever and elaborate ways of making one

I never realized for a long time how much better it is, particularly for small flies, to do like you did. Great idea and very helpful for tying.

I used to prop up a piece of light blue craft foam behind the vise as a profile plate and it worked great. Craft foam comes in every imaginable color, so I could swap out colors if blue wasn't cutting it for some reason.

Now I have a Peak vise, so at some point (when somebody gave me a gift card for my birthday or something) I bought the Peak profile plate that attaches to the vise. It works fine, but not any better than the craft foam did. :)

I use a big piece of foamcore. I then clip a large piece of colored construction/oak tag to it to change the color of the background. Use the same setup for taking pictures.