Fly Tying
TroutBum605

Vise and fly kits

I've got the cam version. My only comparison is the decades old Supreme I had before. Compared to that one, I love the cam locking feature. I use the rotary feature some, but mostly to look at the other side, and to apply cement to the head, evenly.

Mike since you own this vise I've wondered something about them, let ask you then ? If you set the tension right on the rotating head do you think you could rotate that head steady and smoothly at a reasonable clip ? Not super fast but just really a steady clip ? I ask that because I wax thread and spin my vise to touch dubbing against it. It just takes steady speed not so much high speed. I also wrap peacock herl onto thread to form a chenille. I'm sure it will do that though. But a lot of these so called true rotary vises just cam down to bottom dead center on ya or the tension gets too tight and you can turn the vise but not spin it/ rotate steady..

Simple answer, yes, it will spin smoothly.

More accurate answer, yes, if it's set up correctly, it will spin nicely.

The nut closest to the center shaft (on the right), is the one that tensions the rotation. The nut on the outside holds the handle in place. Both nuts are plastic (my ONLY "con" with this vise) so you have to be a bit gentle with tightening.

The real key is to make all three pieces, both nuts and the handle, lock together. Do this without binding the nuts to the vise shaft and it all works wonderfully.

Nope, just composite plastic. Keep in mind, I haven't had a problem with them. I am afraid to tighten them too much, which could be why they work.

The nut tightens up against a rubber o-ring. If it's all adjusted correctly, you have to hold the vise to tighten or loosen the tensioner. Once it's set, you can have it spin freely, or with a slight drag that holds it where ever you stop it.

So far, I've liked the rotary function on this vise.

Nope, just composite plastic. Keep in mind, I haven't had a problem with them. I am afraid to tighten them too much, which could be why they work.

Mmmm, I think for me that feature is a deal breaker. Thanks, glad I asked ( I'm not gentle on threaded things LOL).

I understand.

suggestion only...

If you don't have other options for the price, it might be worth it to buy brass or steel nuts to modify it, but I've not done that.

I understand.

suggestion only...

If you don't have other options for the price, it might be worth it to buy brass or steel nuts to modify it, but I've not done that.

Oh my old vise keeps on clunking away and holds a hook just fine. It's more a matter of want than need in reality. I can take my time, lot's of memories tied to that old vise. Truth be known I think I'd rather do some machining and put some bushings in the thing. Though I own a wood lathe not a metal lathe lol.

That's one crazy page flytire. But who's Lisa ?

I got a Grainger site page, Dave. What page did YOU end up on?

I watched and read several reviews and think the spider is about the best way to go for my needs, price range and experience.

no idea what you are even talking about

Sorry, I figured it out, my sister in law is Lisa, we let her use our computers when she visits here. She must have signed into google and it's a trace left over in the upper right corner.

I got a Grainger site page, Dave. What page did YOU end up on?

I got a google search page, the search was "knurled nuts". There must be 500 nuts there though..